Topic: HDSPe and Alphalink SX. Cannot monitor when record is enabled

I've asked this question to SSL Support, Steinberg support,  Cubase.NET, and Gearslutz. I can't get any help with this problem, and I am hoping someone here can.

RME HDSPe MADI in PC DAW -> MADI optical -> Alphalink SX -> Analog in/outs to patch bay -> Presonus Central Station TRS1 -> Monitors

Cubase 5.1.1 w/ Direct Monitoring ON

When I have the INPUT of the Alphalink set to MADI and the OUTPUT set to ANA, I can listen through my monitors. I can enable record/audition in Cubase and listen to the signal.

In Cubase, if I SEND to an additional destination on the patchbay (currently I am trying to SEND to output 10, and then patching from 10 out to the HEARBACK system input 3. I should be able to turn up #3 on the HEARBACK and hear just that individual track as I am recording) I can't hear it until I change the INPUT on the Alphalink to ANA/ANA (so that both INPUT and OUTPUT are set to ANA). At which point I no longer hear it in my monitors, but in the Hearback only. If I open the RME mixer I know it's passing signal - I just can't hear it. Right now, I am switching back and forth on the Alphalink to get things done, but I know I shouldn't have to do this. Can it not send signal to MADI and ANA at the same time for both IN and OUT?

If it makes a difference, I am not using the AES portion of the unit at this time, and I am not setting the input to both AES/ANA - only ANA.

SSL has confirmed that my settings on the Alphalink are correct. Steinberg says it doesn't matter. If Cubase says it's sending in a SEND, then it is sending (whatever that means).  I made a video for SSL support to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47ieBbQ4fiM

Someone on Cubase.NET said that I could fix the routing issue in the Totalmix options, but I have read the manual a few times and I don't understand how I can do this.

Thanks,
Scott

Re: HDSPe and Alphalink SX. Cannot monitor when record is enabled

Hi Scott, it would be nice to see a screenshot of TotalMix while the send is active. I'm not too familiar with the Alphalink, which channel in the MADI stream is feeding the Analog output you are using?

I must say it seems strange that changing the Alphalink to Analog In -> Analog Out mode allows you to hear the send... are you sure it's not just the dry Analog input fed through to the output (are you using an analog input here, or is the send track playing prerecorded audio)?  Could be something is wrong in the patchbay...

For basic TotalMix help, see here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/RMEAudio#gr … C632FC103C

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Re: HDSPe and Alphalink SX. Cannot monitor when record is enabled

This turned out to be an issue with improperly routing signal to the Cubase "Control Room" feature. Problem solved. Thanks.