Topic: New Intel i5 Macbook Pro

Hello there and big cheers to all!!

Well..today i have this big big question:

I am about to buy a new laptop... I am able to buy the new i5 15?one... but i have been reading alot of the firewire issues and so on that the macbook pro has been bringing up.

I am a very happy user of Fireface 400 both on mac and pc  (i own a very old first generation back macbook) and it works fine.

So the bottomline:

Should  i get one of those mid- 2008 models with FW 400 port, 2.5 intel core 2 duo and 512 MB Nvidia chip???  or should i get the new apple macbook with new processor and i will be able to use my Fireface 400 bus powered??

Has anyone managed to use bus power on its FF400 using the new macbook pros?

thanks a lot!

Re: New Intel i5 Macbook Pro

Hi revis,

Just received my brand new 17" MBP 2.66 i7!  And I happen to have a FF400 at hand, so guess what, I plugged it into the FW800 port of the MBP. After installing the latest drivers, the FF400 gets immediately recognized. Bus power works too. Could only test the headphone output until now but everything seems to be working as it should. Just a bit disappointed that the MBP only has a single FW port..

cheers
gigi

Re: New Intel i5 Macbook Pro

Should  i get one of those mid- 2008 models with FW 400 port

No, they suffer from an incompatible FireWire chipset.

or should i get the new apple macbook with new processor and i will be able to use my Fireface 400 bus powered??

Yes.

best regards
Knut