Topic: Fireface 800 - How many channels at 96khz?

Hi,

I'm am about to buy a fireface 800 to run with my Imac and Logic 8. I am pretty clueless when it comes to this digital stuff at the moment. I will be putting it in place of my Apogee Duet as I need more channels and digital I/O to record drums and connect external converters etc. I have read up on the product but I am not sure if I fully understand the capabilities of the FF 800 so I would like to ask a few question before I purchase. First of all, I have found out that my firewire chipset is the Lucent 5901 which means I need to buy a Lindy cable in order for it to operate properly with my system, which is no big deal but I'd just like someone to clarify that it works flawlessly like this and that there won't be any compromises. Secondly, I am a bit confused about the number of channels I can run at certain sample rates.

As far as I understand I can run the fireface 800's 10 analogue inputs at 192kz or I can run a standalone converter connected to the spdif at 192khz. How many channels of I/O can the spdif accept? I will be using a UA2192 with the spdif which is just 2 channels of AD/DA but I would like to know what the maximum possible is? Also, if I hook a converter to the ADAT can I still have 192khz? Can I run 16 channels of external AD/DA at 96khz? Thanks.

Re: Fireface 800 - How many channels at 96khz?

SPDIF will do 192, there will be 8 channels of ADAT at 96 (SMUX), but none at 192 (i.e. no SMUX/4)....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ok thanks. I'm still not sure how many channels you can have with spdif? I will be using the 10 analogue channels of AD on the Fireface to record drums etc but how do I connect the UA2192 to the Fireface? How many cables do I need? Do I connect the spdif out of the UA2192 to the spdif in of the fireface? Also, do I connect the word out of the UA2192 to the word in of the fireface and set the fireface to slave and the 2192 to master?

SPDIF is 2 ch. If you intend to use the 2192 as master, then you only need to connect the 75 ohm SPDIF cable, and set the FF to Autosync and Pref Sync Ref: SPDIF In.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks for the help. I think I know how to set it up now. Cheers.