Topic: FF800 + OctaMic + ???

Hey everybody,

a few years ago I worked in a studio that was running RME and I always liked the sound and stable environment I was working in. Now I'm planning my own studio (bigger project studio with capabilites to record bands) and I'm thinking about getting RME stuff even though I think Apogee's Ensemble is more sexy and Apple'ish...

The FireFace 800 pre's are not enough for tracking a whole band so I will need an additional OctaMic to hook-up with
the FF using ADAT.

3 questions:

- how can I add another 2x 8 outputs (I'd prefer to go completely RME with my setup) for analog summing?
(thinking about getting a Dangerous 2 Bus)

- how do you setup different monitoring mixes for musicians (no software monitoring) without using an external mixing desk? Feed the input signals using TotalMix to separate outputs of the FF and then into a headphone amplifier?

- how can I route input signals to an external reverb processor for monitoring only? Is that possible without using an external mixing desk? Can't remember TotalMix that good.

Thank you
Natasha

Re: FF800 + OctaMic + ???

how can I add another 2x 8 outputs (I'd prefer to go completely RME with my setup) for analog summing?

The Fireface 800 provides 2 additional ADAT inputs so you can add up to two OctaMic II to the setup which will give you up to 20 MicPres. For up to 16 additional analog outputs you need two ADAT converters like the RME ADI-8 DS or ADI-8 QS (high-end, but more expensive). Or go for the M-16 DA with 16 high-end DA outputs.

how do you setup different monitoring mixes for musicians (no software monitoring) without using an external mixing desk? Feed the input signals using TotalMix to separate outputs of the FF and then into a headphone amplifier?

Yes. TotalMix works like a complete digital hardware mixer with all I/Os of the Fireface connected to it - including software playback channels from your sequencer(s). With the unlimited routing and mixing options - unlike any other hardware mixer on earth - every physical output can work as own submix or aux bus. You know a classic mixer has 4 or 8 aux sends, which could be used for headphone or FX mixes. In TotalMix every output can work as aux or submix bus and could get a signal from any input or playback channel.

how can I route input signals to an external reverb processor for monitoring only? Is that possible without using an external mixing desk?

Yes. TotalMix is your desk with total flexibility (see above). You only have to use a physical output (like SPDIF out) as FX bus and build your reverb mix there. Connect this output to the input of your reverb processor. Route the wet signal from the reverb to an input (like SPDIF in) and route/mix it to your main monitoring and headphone outputs for different reverb mixes.

best regards
Knut

Hi Knut,

thank you! So if I add the OctaMic II via ADAT I will have a total of 12 Mic Pres (4+8), that sounds good. Unfortunately I won't be able to connect two ADI-8 DS (ADAT) then because of the already connected OctaMic II, so I'm missing 8 more outputs. Maybe you can help out once again. ;-)

Thank you, NLee

If you connect one OctaMic II to one ADAT in of the FF800 you still have two ADAT outs (16 channels) free for two ADI-8 DS/QS or one M-16 DA. The OctaMic II is only an input device and needs one ADAT input (and maybe an ADAT output of the FF800 for the clock).

best regards
Knut

Thank you once again, Knut. I was expecting the OctaMic to require one input and one output (don't know why). That's so damn cool, I wonder why other manufacturers don't program something as good as TotalMix.

Just one more question. Is there any way to insert a hardware compressor or any other outboard before the converters?  Thx, NLee

Just one more question. Is there any way to insert a hardware compressor or any other outboard before the converters?

No, besides audio cables.

best regards
Knut