Topic: AES 32, garbled audio, jumping input meters on cold start....

I recently purchased an HDSPe aes 32 and set it up in my windows 7 64-bit box.  Configuration includes, core i7 960, x58 chipset motherboard, and SSD drive.  I have an aurora 16 as a AD/DA converter box.  When I connect the Aurora 16 converter box to the AES 32 using AES/EBU cables, I can immediately see audio coming through on channels 1+2 and 9+10 in the HDSP mixer application even though there is no audio signal present.  When I launch Cubase to try to "listen in" on these phantom signals, there is actually nothing I can hear coming through.  Very strange.  Even when I cut the computer on from a cold start, if the aurora is on and connected to the aes 32, there is always jumping input meters on the aes 32.

So, as a test, I loaded up Cubase and tried to play a simple WAV file on one stereo track.  I noticed the audio is completely garbled and horrible sounding.  So, I then disabled the AES out signal coming from the aurora 16 so that the AES 32 can only send a digital signal out to the aurora and I can playback audio just fine through Cubase after doing that.  It seems that if the AES 32 is sent an AES signal in, it behaves completely erraticly.  So, in theory, I can only use my AES 32 to send digital out, but the digital in is malfunctioning even when there is no audio signal present in that stream.  This is a very strange problem, and as I type I am looking at the 1+2 and 9+10 input meters jumping around in the HDSP mixer although there is absolutely no audio coming through.

The aurora 16 is functioning perfectly and is not the problem here.  The AES 32 is just handling this incoming digital signal all wrong even though there is no audio on it, only AES clock information.  What should I do?

Windows 7 64-bit
Asus x58 chipset motherboard
core i7 960
SSD drive
Cubase 5.1
Aurora 16 AD/DA conveters

Re: AES 32, garbled audio, jumping input meters on cold start....

Have the AES/EBU cables the TASCAM pinout format? If they are using the YAMAHA format it will not work and you need an adapter.

best regards
Knut

I have the right cable....Tascam to Yamaha crossover.  Tascam in RME, Yamaha in Aurora 16.  Can you help?

4 (edited by vbmusic 2010-05-20 07:40:24)

Hi. I have an Aurora 8 and I am planning to buy an HDSPe aes 32 and a new PC based on X58 motherboard. I would be interested to know if your problems are fixed and what was the cause

regards,
vb