Topic: MADI SYNC QUESTION! Please help

Hi RME-Folks

I have following question:

Would it be possible to have a MADI-System consisting of Micstasy and Madiface working at 96khz and to integrate an ADI-648 which is feeding a Backup-recorder at the half Samplerate thru ADAT, in this case at 48Khz. Does ADAT automatically switch to SMUX or is there a Workaround to change the Samplerate, perhaps with external Clockgenerator?
Would the Signalflow to the Backup-Recorder be still intact if the Computer on the Madiface would crash?

Micstasy------96khz------>ADI-648-----96khz----> Madiface
                                           -
                                           - 48khz
                                           -
                                           ---> Backup

Thanks for the help

Simon

Re: MADI SYNC QUESTION! Please help

You need to insert a sample rate converter between ADI-648 and Backup.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by clAUDIO 2010-05-20 13:56:59)

MC wrote:

You need to insert a sample rate converter between ADI-648 and Backup.

Hi Simon,

maybe the MADI.SRC might be an interesting device for you. ;-)

Best Regards,

Claudio Becker-Foss
DirectOut GmbH
www.directout.eu

Thanks for the advice Claudio!!

If I understand correctly the setup then would be like that:

I go with the MADI signal from Micstasy into the MADI.SRC  and use it as a splitter going with (for example) MADI optical converted to 48Khz in the ADI-648 and with MADI COAX (still 96Khz) into the Madiface.

Are there other possibilities? Which SRC could I use BETWEEN ADI-648 and Backup as You suggested, Matthias?

Best Regards
Simon

Depends on how many channels you send to the Backup recorder.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I want to send all 32 channels which are available on 96khz, would that be possible?

With so many channels the mentioned solution seems to be the best one.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

SimonL wrote:

If I understand correctly the setup then would be like that:
I go with the MADI signal from Micstasy into the MADI.SRC  and use it as a splitter going with (for example) MADI optical converted to 48Khz in the ADI-648 and with MADI COAX (still 96Khz) into the Madiface.

Hello Simon,

the MADI.SRC does not work as a splitter. Both outputs carry the same (converted) signal. Thus you might want to use the SPLIT.CONVERTER to split up your MADI stream from stage and feed the MADIface as well as the MADI.SRC.

Your setup will look like this:

Micstasy -- 96k --> SPLIT.CONVERTER -- 96k ---> MADIface
                                |
                           MADI.SRC -- 48k --> ADI648 -> Backup system

If you have further questions feel free to contact us also via email.

Regards,
Claudio Becker-Foss
DirectOut GmbH
www.directout.eu

SimonL wrote:

Hi RME-Folks

I have following question:

Would it be possible to have a MADI-System consisting of Micstasy and Madiface working at 96khz and to integrate an ADI-648 which is feeding a Backup-recorder at the half Samplerate thru ADAT, in this case at 48Khz. Does ADAT automatically switch to SMUX or is there a Workaround to change the Samplerate, perhaps with external Clockgenerator?
Would the Signalflow to the Backup-Recorder be still intact if the Computer on the Madiface would crash?

Micstasy------96khz------>ADI-648-----96khz----> Madiface
                                           -
                                           - 48khz
                                           -
                                           ---> Backup

Thanks for the help

Simon

I guess you can use the 48K backup as it is in case it is behaving bit-transparent. Then it should be possible to playback the backup through the ADI648 and to rebuild the 96K audio this way without any loss.
Do you have an opportunity to try this?

Regards,
Ulrich

Thanks for the advice Claudio

What do You mean exactly with "bit-transparent" Ulrich?
In my case the Backup is a Alesis HD-24, which I want to intergrate in a future MADI-Setup, so I can not try this at the moment. I do a lot of classical location recording of live concerts, so the Backup is important, as well the SR of 96khz. Any other ideas this could be done?

Regards Simon

Bit transparency means the output is 100 % identical with the input, bit for bit, no DSP, no dither, etc.

The HD24 could store 12 tracks of 96K this way. As you want to record 32 tracks even single speed is not enough, right?

Maybe the most cost effective solution probably would be a second MADIface plus a simple notebook, in case ?ou have access to a second MADI output connector (I understood you own already a 648?).