Re: New Mac driver for FF UC including error state detection

Hi ,

after a few short tests with new fw, following things happened:
- after installation and reboot - everything fine
- after a sleep (had no apps running in between) - iTunes won't play with FFUC
- killed coreaudiod - iTunes played instantly using FFUC , but  - and this is a slight improvement - with less distortion than before, but still there...
- after HotPlug out/in - cannot use FFUC anymore - neither by selecting audiointerface nor by killing coreaudiod (this worked exactly once)

Overall i have to say, the last driver even worked after Hotplugging (without sleeping) - the new ones doesn't...

Cheers

// MBP 15" late 2008, 4GB, SLeo 10.6.4 , FFUC FW v111, Driver v1.40//

Hmm... looks like quite some people are reporting these issues now, that they are NOT OSX-Version specific and that the latest beta drivers posted in this thread do not solve them yet...

I've tried to get a FFUC test device (one that I could buy if it works and return if it doesn't) through my local dealer, through the Synthax GmbH and through RME directly. The former wasn't able to get one itself and the two latter didn't even respond to my request.

I'm sure RME is working to fix the issues but I'm still not confident enough yet to spend the bucks hmm

titirom, you were reporting an almost fully functional UC with the latest drivers? Have you tried playback or recording?
- Did you have clicks or distortions during recording? (would be a showstopper)
- Did you have clicks or distortions during playback? If yes, would you consider them to render the device unusable for live performances? (one minor klick every 40 minutes wouldn't really hurt me for now, provided that RME _can_ fix the issue sometime in the not-too-distant future, whereas half a second of whitenoise'ish cracks at high volume would)

Also ppl, please provide your MacBook Pro hardware model identifier when you report issues as I could imagine that being helpful to reproduce / solve the issue. You can find the identifier in the Apple Menu > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware > Model Identifier.

Really looking forward to RME fixing this and me buying one smile

Hardware:
- MacPro May 2007 / 2x DualCore Xeon / 6GB
- MacBook Pro June 2009 / Core2Duo @3GHz / 4GB

53 (edited by titirom 2010-04-07 13:47:54)

Hi guys,
After some more testing and passed to snow leo 10.6.3, it seems the things works pretty well here (for the clicks/pops problem).

No clicks/pop in recording and playing at 44,1 kHz, 48 kHz and 96 kHz and for the moment the big distortion is not come.
I can work now without apprehension.Great cool
Netmikey, maybe it's time to envisage buying the UC   wink

The latency setup is important. For me with some logic plug-in, 64 seems to be good for now (maybe 128 needed with a big configuration set)

But I found a bug,for part the same that inetics: sometimes, the fireface can't be selected in audio control panel after an hot plug (but works in Logic).Need to reboot.
No particular problem with itunes until now. Even Youtube works well.

My setup:Macbook Pro unibody 2.8 GHz may 2009 with 4gb Ram running 10.6.3, snow l?o clean install, latency 64 on logic 9.1.1 clean install,  fw 102 and driver 1.30.

Great that you have it working now, Titirom. Now we only have to make sure the USB distortion problem wont show up anymore (with or without Parallels). :-)

Hi Timur,
Special salutation to you, thanks for tried to help me since beginning :-)

Well, I've been playing with the 102 firmware and 1.30 drivers on 10.6.3. extensively now, and I can say that everything is still about the same. I've managed to isolate what happens, at least for me:

1) Hot unplug/plug - UC is visible but not selectable as audio output or input device.
2) Sleep does not result in the issue above or distortion only if I leave the UC on and connected. If I unplug the UC or turn it off while in sleep, when I plug it back in/turn is back on, I get total distortion.
3) Recording, playback, guitar amp modeling, etc. all experience occasional dropouts, I'd say at about 10-20 minute intervals.

All of this has occurred at 44.1khz with buffer sizes of 128 and 256. Though I still experienced the #1 and #2 before, I never experienced #3 with the normal release updates in the downloads section of the main website. (I believe the 1.21 drivers and 91 firmware.)

Hope this helps a little more in finding a solution.

57 (edited by titirom 2010-04-07 22:37:47)

1) Hot unplug/plug - UC is visible but not selectable as audio output or input device.
2) Sleep does not result in the issue above or distortion only if I leave the UC on and connected. If I unplug the UC or turn it off while in sleep, when I plug it back in/turn is back on, I get total distortion.
3) Recording, playback, guitar amp modeling, etc. all experience occasional dropouts, I'd say at about 10-20 minute intervals.

Ok it seems we share the point 1 (with inetics too).
For me put the UC off and on in sleep mode goes to point 1.

And until now for the first time since buying the UC  I have not the point 3 (and for me it was the most important).
Why that 's not work for you and why some other's users have still the big distortion's bug,  this is very irritating and worrying.

I'm very busy for the next 10 days and without the UC, but I test and report more as soon as possible.

58 (edited by inetics 2010-04-08 07:43:04)

agree to titirom,

i had point 1) and 2) (with lesser distortion than before upgrade wink, but never had occacionally dropouts. That  i forget to say in previous posts - so as long my MBP wasn't sleeping before the UC sounds fantastic.
Update: Killing coreaudiod helped to be able to (re)selecting FFUC, but distortion after sleep is still there

hi... i'm desperate....
today my rme doesn't work at all... distortion even in playback with itunes...
i tried rebooting, changing the usb input... no way....
i updated my macbook 2 days ago with minor (i thought) updates and now i can't even listen to the music...

please someone help me...

Have you tried reinstalling the driver?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

reinstalled... now they seem to work....
i hope tomorrow the won't leave me alone when recording live.

luca

Hi luca,

how did it go?

rao

hi.
everything seems fine...

i recorded 16 tracks on the go...
it seems perfect... (after reinstalling the driver)

Hi guys,

hi.
everything seems fine...

i recorded 16 tracks on the go...
it seems perfect... (after reinstalling the driver)

I'm coming back, and it's good to read this.

Not new problem here, not big distortion until now, just point 1 and 2 but
it's not a real problem for working.

RME team, thanks again for your work, do you think make an "all UC's users " driver/firmware with all point fixed ?

asknone9 what about your problem ? do you tried to reinstall the drivers ?

I've definitely still been having point 1 and point 2, with point 3 being so sporadic that I often forget it occurs. I did do some voice over work recently for a 6 minute skit and didn't experience any dropouts on that. Amp modeling is usually when I notice it most, simply because that's the longest run of straight in/out processing I do currently. I did reinstall drivers, and it's all very much the same.

Had my uc almost a year now and I both love and hate it, after going back to leopard things are better but I still get clicks and audio distortion/drop out not to mention Kernal panic when I plug it in which I have to do pretty often as it regularly doesnt take control of the OS.

I have a new problem now where volume control on my keyboard isnt responded to by the uc.

I am not getting replies to my emails about it either sad

Pretty unimpressed to say the least.

If my warranty is a year I am about to be forced to take it back.

reverbnation.com/ovorigin

67 (edited by titirom 2010-04-23 22:17:36)

Hi Ovorigin,
I'm pretty sure that the warranty is 2 years in many countries , ask to your dealer if you need it.:-)

ovorigin wrote:

Had my uc almost a year now and I both love and hate it, after going back to leopard things are better but I still get clicks and audio distortion/drop out not to mention Kernal panic when I plug it in which I have to do pretty often as it regularly doesnt take control of the OS.

I have a new problem now where volume control on my keyboard isnt responded to by the uc.

I am not getting replies to my emails about it either sad

Pretty unimpressed to say the least.

If my warranty is a year I am about to be forced to take it back.

Which driver are you using?

I'm thinking of going from Leopard to Snow Leopard in an attempt to get my FFUC to work without all the problems I'm experiencing with Leopard.

Tried the driver and it changed absolutely nothing at all for me.

Its been nearly a year of driver updates now and the UC simply doesnt work as advertised, so do I return it before my warranty runs out?

I really dont want to do that as there is no other solution for me to go to but I paid a lot of money for this paper weight, not to mention wasted A LOT of hours on it.

ideas?

reverbnation.com/ovorigin

70 (edited by titirom 2010-04-25 22:39:34)

Hi,
Bad news. Today I worked on a logic 44.1 kHz project (with audio samples, record samples and software instruments) and after 3 hours, the short (1s) big distortion was come sad
Not very loud but this problem seems not be completely fixed.

I must precise that for me the new drivers are not perfect but I can really work now.

I hope RME team find how to definitely fixed the bugs.

Hi guys,
When I run the UC after running the macbook, sometime the big permanent distortion come. It seems it's part of problem n 2. (see above)
My solution: always run the UC before the mac, after that even the sleep mode work well.

titirom,

When you say always run the UC before the mac, even with sleep mode, does that mean you turn the UC off when you put your mac to sleep?

73 (edited by titirom 2010-05-03 12:13:25)

asknone9,
Sorry if I wasn't clear, my english is limited.
My way is turn on the UC before the mac and let the UC on until switch off the mac. With that way, when I put the mac in sleep mode (and don't switch off the UC) the mac wake up work well with the UC.
Of course, if you let running your mac all the time and want to switch off only the UC when you don't use it, my way is not a solution.

titirom,

No problem, your English is fine. I was just unsure exactly what you were doing. I do the same thing you do generally, and it all works fine for me, until I have to turn the UC off or unplug it. Then I have to restart. I was thinking that if you turn the UC off and back on every time your computer wakes from sleep, then I should try that when it gives me the distortion. Unfortunately, that doesn't change anything for me. Thanks for clarifying.

... so there's _still_ no final solution to these issues? sad

Hardware:
- MacPro May 2007 / 2x DualCore Xeon / 6GB
- MacBook Pro June 2009 / Core2Duo @3GHz / 4GB

You know, I've been reading the seed notes for 10.6.4 and USB is still one of the things on the list. Considering that I have an Audio Kontrol 1 by Native Instruments, and it does essentially the same thing that the UC does, this may not be in RME's hands. Just a thought. It may still be fixable by RME, though, for their products at least.

asknone9 wrote:

... this may not be in RME's hands....

Very interesting thought. Does RME have an opinion on this?

rao

I just updated the driver and firmware, see first post. Driver 1.40 with firmware 104 includes some interesting changes. We haven't seen effects like the 'unplug/plug no device in system' since then, so it might be this one is a fix. Please try.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … mac140.zip

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fut_usb_mac104.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I just installed the new driver and I noticed the firmware isn't 104, it's 102. The driver version is correct though. BUT, the problems with hot plugging/unplugging are gone! I just unplugged/plugged it in 5 or 6 times and the audio comes back through without any distortion or device selection problems. I'm guessing the firmware version is only a typo then? I will test the UC more tonight for clicking, etc., while recording and signal processing.

Hi,

very strange, I also get a Version 102 when trying to download https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … ac104.zip.
Could anyone who has VMware Fusion or Parallels installed check if the sudden distortion problem, is gone as well?

Rao

Link to the new fut 104 now works!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

very nice!

Nicolas Toussaint - http://brainworksstudios.com - http://www.facebook.com/brainworksstudios

Still didn't fix it for me, still need to reboot to get clean sound after close the lid of my macbook pro. sad
Really had my hopes up for this one

yeah... when unpluggin-repluggin, the distortion problem is solved...

BUT when the computer is in sleep mode for a while and then woken up, the distortion is still present.

Nicolas Toussaint - http://brainworksstudios.com - http://www.facebook.com/brainworksstudios

Hi,

maybe I need to rephrase my qustion. I got the impression, that at least with virtualisation SW installed, one can get randomly distorted output. I don't really mind about disconnecting or reconnecting the UC or putting my MBP into sleep mode because I usually would't do that. So has anyone ever experienced (random) distortion without disconnecting/reconnecting or putting his mac into sleep mode first? (titirom?)

Rao

hi, im using the latest driver and firmware (.4) with a new macbook pro 15' i7 and its all working fine. even after sleeping the machine or unplugging.

this is a great improvement from my last machine (white macbook 2009 model) which would display distortion after unplug/sleep until i rebooted.

Hi Guys,
I have not my UC with me for the moment so I can't try the new drivers until middle of June sad

Rao,  The last time I encountered the "short big distortion", I'm sure I was working since about three hours in continue since booting the mac. No sleep, no unplug...

Anyway, I think now about buy a new i7 macbook pro like bobule.
If i do that, I'm coming as quickly as possible on the forum to say how it works with the UC.

88 (edited by asknone9 2010-05-31 16:26:28)

EDIT: I wasn't specific enough. The 104/1.40 combo ARE working, but some conditions seems to cause the distortion, and it seems to be sleep-related. I noticed that I can hot unplug/plug all I want, but after my laptop has been put to sleep a few times, an unplug/plug will bring back the distortion. The fact that it is sleep-related is only speculation at this point, because I was only able to get the distortion once in the past two days. I cannot reliably repeat it. It may very well have been a fluke. I guess what I'm trying to say is I did experience distortion once so far, but cannot pinpoint why. This is worlds better, however, than the previous driver.

89 (edited by asknone9 2010-06-02 17:36:12)

I've gotten the UC to distort a second time. It seems that it's only happening after several cycles of sleeping/waking. It's taking at least a whole day or two to happen though. I have not experienced any cutting out during recording, however, on any sample rate/latency.

the links to the drivers are not working anymore!

Logically, as they have been released meanwhile. See first post.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

92 (edited by logihack 2010-06-05 13:06:58)

hello....because i want end my saga about audio interface i bought new imac(10.6.3) and fireface uc...i couldn't be more disappointed...i cant even instal drivers...i try everything, but fireface wont work...
first i instal drivers from cd, than i made an upgrade with new one...the system shows like everything is ok and computer goes to restart...than i want to make flash update and the system tells me, that i don't have any card and drivers...i know im not the only one with that problem...i will try to do something about that and if that issue will not be solved till monday i will take my highly desired fireface uc back to the store
but im must tell that on my old laptop hp 6910, i had no problems

edit: i found the problem...device was set for pc mode fryingpan

today i experienced distortion after unpluggin repluggin without putting the laptop to sleep...

macbook pro 13" sep 2009

Hi everybody,

Well I had the opportunity to sold my computer and buy a new i7 macbook pro.
After my time machine restoration and installed the last drivers and firmware, all problems seems to be gone :-)

Looking at the very few complains here now, it seems RME team has fixed most of the problems, thank you guys.

Hi,

after a few short tests nothing changed for me (except the new real great mixer app) - still disappointed about to restart whole machine...

Cheers

Hi everybody,
So am i the last unicorn in this thread? Tested again without using any virtualization software - same behavior (distortion)...
Mmh - So due to titirom's experience the best way to ged rid of the distortion problem is to sell my "old" Mac and buy a Core i7 MBP....
We also are developing a lot of software - dedicated to the music market, but i need the information, if there  definitely will be an update to solve the issues - otherwise i don't need this portable solution anymore and have to look for different I/O interfaces...

A very unhappy inetics...

If using a new Mac solves the problem then it kind of implies that the old Mac has something to do with it. On both my 2008 15" and 2009 17" Macbook Pros I experienced both ExpressCard *and* USB issues. The distortion that can happen with the FF UC also can happen with my NI Kore 1 USB interface when I was working on OS X 10.5 (Leopard).

It still could possibly be that the FF driver has something to do with it. It still can be that Parallels/VMware has something to do with it. But it also can very possibly be that the 2008/2009 Macbooks or OS X USB drivers are the culprit.

98 (edited by titirom 2010-07-23 15:53:42)

Hi inetics,

It's sad to hear that the problem is not solved for you.

The time machine restoration putting the Mac in the exact way you leave it except the system files (I think) and you must re-enter some serial numbers. I did that for the migration between my "old" and new Macbook.
This is very useful and safe, maybe you should try (if you don't tried it before).

And yes, I think it's a possible bug of some 2008/2009 series.

99 (edited by ton 2010-07-23 18:52:08)

I recently bought a used 2009 mbp (MacBookPro5,5 13inch c2d 2,53 ghz, 4gb ram) and I am experiencing the same ocasional distortion. I couldn't figure out, what the cause is. I tried with osx 10.6, 10.6.2, 10.6.3 and 10.6.4 - all seem to have the same problem... My question now: Do the new 13ich mbp have new USB chipsets or is it the old one? I really love my UC performance wise, but I allready had some situations on stage where I had to reboot because of this bug. Reliabilty is of great importance for me. This is a really annoying bug. Especially because I don't know how to avoid it.

I'm using fw111 drv1.40

100 (edited by madmacke 2010-07-30 00:19:37)

im using a macbook 5,1 and also the have the same distortion problem, though so far, it only comes after plug off/turn off/sleep .

Is there a driverupdate in progress ? Or another solution?

peace! / marcus