1 (edited by yoCG 2010-06-04 02:42:51)

Topic: HOW do I digitaly trasfer 48ch via ADAT into my RME RAYDAT?!

...I have an RME RAYDAT card into my PC and the manufacturer says: 32 INs & 32 OUTs via ADAT. Can I configure it 48 INs (for tracking) & 16 OUTs (for summing)? I suppose not...
Should I buy an extra card or something? Of course, "NO LATECY ALLOWED" :-)
The chain is: 3 APOGEE AD16x convertors - RME RAYDAT - MACKIE XBUS (just for control surface) - 1 APOGEE DA16X - FOLCROM summing box - CRANE SONG HEDD AD/DA convertor. Everything, until the FOLCROM is linked in between with optical cables.
I record in 48kHz/24bit.

I realy need to track & record 48ch simultaneusly (Voices, Instruments, Lexicon Processors, etc...). I RECORD LIKE IN A LIVE ENVIROMENT, LIKE I'M ON STAGE !!!

SHOULD I BUY SOME OTHER RME PRODUCTS FOR THIS CONFIGURATION OF MINE AND SELL THE RAY DAT?!
Thank you very much!

Re: HOW do I digitaly trasfer 48ch via ADAT into my RME RAYDAT?!

You could get a MADI card and a format converter (ADI-648) or simply add another Raydat to the system.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

thanks!
Of course, it would be 7 times cheeper just to add another RAYDAT than a MAD+ADI 648, but are there any disadvantages?

Of course, it would be 7 times cheeper just to add another RAYDAT than a MAD+ADI 648, but are there any disadvantages?

No. Besides two instances of TotalMix instead only one and no MADI advantages, like cable lenght, remote control ...

best regards
Knut

Admin Knut wrote:

No. Besides two instances of TotalMix instead only one and no MADI advantages, like cable lenght, remote control ...

best regards
Knut

sorry and thank you, but I'm a begginer and I didn't quite unerstand your reply...
Can I link 2 RAYDATs with one cable? Wich kind of cable? One RAYDAT master and one slave?
I will have 2 RME mixers in my PC? In the Windows Control Panel/ Sounds I will have 2 cards?
What is "two instances of TotalMix instead only one..."

Sorry if I give too much trouble.

Thank you.

Yes you have to link both cards with a cable to sync them together. The RayDAT provides an internal 3pin out (master) and in port (slave) for the word clock signal.

You will have two different mixers (=TotalMix) in your PC and two cards in the hardware panel list. This means you need a software mixer like an audio sequencer to route an internal signal from one card to another.

best regards
Knut

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR PATIENCE. smile
SO, practicaly there is no need AT ALL to even think about buying the MADI + ADI 648 at this moment, only if I'll have a great "budget boost" after one year or two and  I want to work more easily with that "more expensive configuration".
That internal sync cable between the RayDATs is included in the package? Is not a BNC cable that I use to link those 3 APOGEEs AD16X?

Admin Knut wrote:

Yes you have to link both cards with a cable to sync them together. The RayDAT provides an internal 3pin out (master) and in port (slave) for the word clock signal.

You will have two different mixers (=TotalMix) in your PC and two cards in the hardware panel list. This means you need a software mixer like an audio sequencer to route an internal signal from one card to another.

best regards
Knut

I think a simple 3-pin cable is included. It should look like this.

best regards
Knut