Topic: Win7 + FF800 = help me, I don't know what I'm doing

OK, I think I have a real basic problem here, but try as I might, I can't get any traction.  I switched to Win7 (32-bit) when my XP rig got a horrible virus and I ended up having to just wipe the hard drive.  Now I can't get it to recognize my FireFace 800.  Please understand, I am NOT savvy in the ways of computers, so this could be a very simple thing that I'm just missing.

I'm using an Abit IP-35 Pro motherboard.

The device manager doesn't show anything but a pair of "High Definition Audio Device(s)" under "Sound, video, and game controllers" as well as a disabled "Multimedia Audio Controller" under "Other Devices".  (When I say "disabled" I mean it has a yellow exclamation point.)  There are no specific callouts for "FireWire" anywhere.

Do you think this is a problem with Win7 recognizing the FireWire functionality of my motherboard, or is it a problem with it recognizing the FF800?  Or both?

I kinda need sound.  Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

jim

Re: Win7 + FF800 = help me, I don't know what I'm doing

Check Device Manager: is 1394 driver working OK?

sonarmods.com

3 (edited by jimmyjazz 2010-06-08 13:08:28)

Wow, quick response!  It doesn't look like there's anything wrong with it, but I don't exactly know how to "check" it.  It says "Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller" with no exclamation points or red Xs or anything like that.  Only one entry.  Sound good?  Thanks so much.

Download the current driver (v 2.9992) from the link below. Right click the zip file and select "extract", then step through the unzip wizard.

http://www.rme-audio.de/drivers_fireface

Right click on "Multimedia Audio Controller" in Device Manager and select "Update driver", then proceed to direct the wizard to the FF driver folder.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Yeah, I've done that.  "Windows could not find driver software for your device."

I wonder if I'm not extracting this correctly?  It never goes to an extract wizard.  However, the icons are definitely different than in the zip folder, and the file sizes are different (i.e., the size of the Fireface app went from 59 KB to 345 KB), so I THINK I got it right.  Which is the right driver for Win7 32-bit?

v 2.9992

If in the US, you can call me for help. The phone number is on the left at the link below.

http://www.synthax.com/index.php/contact.html

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

One of your devices may be the onboard sound of the Mainboard. So you need to find out which is the FF and which is the onboard. Check Device-Manager without the FF attached and if there are unknown multimedia devices listed disable them.

Then attach the FF and you should get a new entry. Install the driver on that entry (right-click -> update driver -> point the wizard to the path of the extracted FF driver files).

OK . . . in a completely unscientific manner, I think we've solved the problem.  (Unscientific on my end.)  Things started to get better when I ensured that the damn Firewire cable was fully inserted into the FF800.  :-)  That didn't do it all, though, but I followed the other recommendations (updated the driver, updated the flash), and voila! sound.  The flash update was critical, as all I had was loud clicking before I did that.

Thank you so much for all the help . . . I'll be back.  Heh.

jim