Topic: ADSL shuts the FF400 down...

I've always used my FF400 with my old MacBook pro without any problem. But since I bought my new MacBook, a strange things happens : if I connect the ADSL cable to my laptop, my FF400 stops running and then re-starts...
Weird.
I tried with the same new MacBook a friend of mine bought recently, and the same thing occurred. I also tried with both the old drivers I used with the former laptop, and the new ones. And it didn't change anything.
May someone please help me?
Thanks in advance.

Re: ADSL shuts the FF400 down...

This is a FireWire bus reset, most probably caused by the ADSL hardware (modem).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Lafreezette 2010-06-07 16:01:45)

Thanks MC for your message, but I doubt it is the ADSL hardware : This problem also occurs on other specific occasions, while the ADSL cable is not connected : for example, when I switch on (or when I switch off) my amplified speakers (it shuts the FF400 down, which re-starts just afterwards), or, in the same way, when I use pedals (switch Midi) with Ableton Live software. So the same problem happens even when the ADSL cable isn't in use.
I have no clue what's wrong with it... Anyway, I am thankful you informed me it could be a "Firewire bus reset"...

ground loop trouble ?

5 (edited by Timur 2010-06-07 21:38:59)

Does it make a difference whether you are using the FF400 bus-powered or via its own PSU?

Does it make a difference when you you the Macbook on battery with its PSU plugged *out*?

Did you try a different Firewire cable?

What "new" Macbook are we talking about here?

Thanks Grag38 and Timur for your clever questions.
I could not try using the FF400 PSU because I bought it in UK via Internet, while I have continental plugs here on mainland Europe. But I think it's an excellent point and I will buy an adaptor straight away tomorrow and check that out.
Concerning the difference between using it while the MacBook is on battery or connected via the PSU, I tried both.. I that doesn't change anything and the problem still happens.
No, I didn't try with another FireWire cable, but that's another good point so I'll do my best to find one and then check that too.
My new laptop is a MacBook Pro 13' 2,4 GHz
I forgot to mention that I also wondered something might be wrong with the motherboard. Maybe the slightest variation creates a failure. Or could it be a problem of compatibility between the 2 different types of Firewire (400 & 800): Actually, I need to use an adaptor to connect the ancient firewire (on my ff400) and new Firewire on my new MacBook, because the new one only's got one type while my old laptop had both (Bastards... "Upgrade, upgrade..." It reminds me the anime "Robots")...

7 (edited by Timur 2010-06-08 22:39:09)

Well, the Macbooks' (Pro) power circuitry doesn't seem to be among the best. Alone the fact that the PSU provides *less* power than the Mac may draw (at which times it draws additional power from its battery) does not give much confidence.

There are grounding problems (like creeping current on the aluminium chasis and buzzing sounds from the internal speakers when the PSU is connected).

I had it happen that when I connected a Fireface bus-powered to my 2009 17" MBP the USB port lost it's connection/power for a short moment. As far as I remember RME identified that some Mac don't provide the necessary bus-power that a Firewire port should be able to.

Several time the internal Blutooth device did not activate after a fresh computer sarrt (like if it didn't exist, neither in OS X nor in Windows) and only turning the Mac off/on would make it work.

The FF has a really good range of what voltages you can feed it with, but still make sure you get a really good/stable power-supply. Also try to disconnect everything else (DisplayPort, USB, SD card, even disc from the DVD) and decrease or increase the screen brightness (try both 100% brightness and lowest possible brightness).