Topic: EQ room

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and actually any forum, so please forgive any faux pas.

I have a home studio with a FF800 at the front end, running CubaseSX. The control room is small (10' x 16') and there are some mode issues. I've treated the room best I can with the time & money available to me. I am thinking of adding an EQ in front of my amp to smoothen out the problem frequencies and thought that there COULD be a better way.

Is it possible to use a parametric EQ plug-in so that only the playback is affected? Perhaps seen only by Totalmix?

Could be a stupid question.

Thanks

Re: EQ room

Put it on the master bus?

-----------------------

Various ADK computers :-)

Or use a "loopback" in Totalmix and use something like Console to insert the EQ.  Then all sound assigned to the primary loopback channel will get processed (not just the DAW application's main mix).

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Thanks for the feedback.

I want to eq the playback but not the mixdown.

If I put the eq on the master bus, the corrective eq for the room will be applied to the mixdown. Don't want that!

Randyman...can you please elaborate your suggestion? Will it just affect the playback and not mixdown? I am not familiar with Console, or how to loopback.

Thanks

Update to cubase 5, you will get an control room module that allow you to insert an eq just for the speakers...

The upadate from cubase sx3 is only 200 euros.

You could disable the EQ beforre mixdown:-)

-----------------------

Various ADK computers :-)

Of course, I will go that route for now and disable the eq on the master upon mixdown.

Thanks for the ideas!

Do some research on Loopback as well.  Console is simply an application that hosts plug-ins with routing - but any DAW app would work.  There are a few existing threads on this floating around (Don't feel like typing a whole lot today)...

Control Room will obviously work as well as will disabling the Room Eq on the Main Mix - but with Loopback you can EQ all of your PC Playback sources if desired (Music Player, Mastering App, Video PLayback, etc) - not just your main DAW app...

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

EQ to cure room problems doesn't really work I'm afraid.  How have you treated the room?  Surface treatment can do a bit, for higher frequencies.  Bass traps can do rather more.  And minimising room effects by turning the level down but putting the monitors closer to your ears can be very useful.

I tend to agree - but I'll point rahl towards the tools he needs to try this for himself wink  If the room is that bad - it might be an improvement.  The only way to know for sure if this will help your mixes is to set it up, re-mix some stuff, and see if it translates any better on other systems.  Give yourself an adjustment period to "re-learn" the new response before making a final decision IMO.  And of course try multiple "corrections" as you will get different results depending on where the speakers and mic are placed for the corrective measurements.

Trial and error is a valuable process when talking about the subjective world of Audio and how YOU perceive it.

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

Thanks for the continued suggestions. I tried the EQ on the Master bus this weekend and remixed a song. I wasn't too pleased with the results but did not take it to another listening source.

I have a 10/14db rise between 200 - 125hz that I'm trying to tame. However the RTA I am using could be questionable, an old Technics piece.

Laurence, I agree that I should be fixing the room but just thought to try this approach. An audiophile friend of mine recently tuned his stereo system to his room with stellar results, which prompted me to give it a try.

Randyman, I'll dig around for some info on Loopback.

btw, it's really cool to have folks to talk with on these types of topics.