1 (edited by Arjan S. 2010-06-26 22:13:49)

Topic: Fireface 400 UC SPDIF optical + coax simultaniously (but separetly)

Matthias, (all)

First post... (in a long, long time..)  Feature request.

Would love to see the possibility to use both optical and coaxial spdif individually.
Hardware wise it should be possible. Just needs reprogramming of the FPGA/ADAT interpretor NO ?

Any chance to use the code which looks like to be already present on the AIO for the fireface UC ?
Or in other words, where is that flexible fpga programming ?  ;-)

Just bought the fireface 400 UC and hope to see some quirks of the old hammerfall line die with this new series.

Arjan S.
Pro-Found Recordings & SAE
Owns:Hammerfall9652,Multiface I,2xADI-8 Pro,Fireface UC.

Re: Fireface 400 UC SPDIF optical + coax simultaniously (but separetly)

Which do you have, Fireface 400 (Firewire) or Fireface UC (USB)? This feature already exists in the Fireface UC...

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

3 (edited by Arjan S. 2010-06-26 22:14:25)

Jeff,

USB version..  Rene Peper is still buzy getting it to me.
So I haven't been able to test myself.
So you say it can do it already ?

So it becomes :
8xAnalog I/O
2x SPDIF Optical I/O
2x SPDIF COAX I/O

12 I/O total.

This is not very clear on the website. Can I suggest you change the following on the website:

What it now says :
Digital I/O . One ADAT I/O provides digital connection to mixers and converters. In combination with an ADI-8 DS/QS or OctaMic II, there are up to 16 analog inputs (respectively 12 @ 96 kHz). The coaxial SPDIF I/O (up to 192 kHz) is fully AES/EBU compatible. SPDIF can also be accessed through the optical I/O.

What is should say :
Digital I/O . One ADAT I/O provides digital connection to mixers and converters. In combination with an ADI-8 DS/QS or OctaMic II, there are up to 16 analog inputs (respectively 12 @ 96 kHz). This ADAT optical connection can also be used as a secondary SPDIF(up to 192 kHz). The coaxial SPDIF I/O (up to 192 kHz) is fully AES/EBU compatible.

Happy my descission turned out this way. I was struggling to choose between the the UC and the AIO, as the AIO had the SPDIF/AES option clearly layed out on the site.

Arjan S.

It's a bit difficult to convey this info without using a paragraph to explain, but I agree the quote above is unclear. Let me quote from the manual:

27.2 SPDIF

The Fireface UC has two SPDIF inputs and outputs. Coaxial and optical can be used simultaneously, with different audio signals. Note that the source have to be synchronous, as the unit does not have a dedicated sample rate converter.

The optical input automatically switches to SPDIF operation when such a signal is detected. The audio information is then shown in TotalMix on the first two ADAT channels, In 11 and In 12.

To send out SPDIF from the optical output, select the option Optical ? SPDIF in the Settings dialog. The output signal in TotalMix has to be present on the first ADAT channels, AS 1+2.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

5 (edited by Arjan S. 2010-06-26 22:14:50)

ed: Ouch.. forgot to read that before buying.

Manuals can be deceiving though, found this just browsing through : :-)

The red HOST LED lights up when the Fireface UC has been switched on. It operates as error LED, in case the FireWire connection hasn't been initialised yet, or has been interrupted (error, cable not connected etc.).

Firewire in the Fireface UC ?

Arjan S.