Topic: fireface 400 1/4" output problems

i bought a fireface 400 around this time last year from guitar center.   the first one i bought had extremely crackly outputs and i bought it right back to the store, where they tested and confirmed something was wrong with them and gave me another.   a month or so later the outputs on the new one started crackling as well.   again i went back to guitar center but they told me too much time had passed and they couldn't do anything.  it was a bearable problem and i had a lot of projects so i kept using it without contacting rme.   now though, its become unbearable again, almost completely unusable.  this is on every single 1/4" output.   does anyone else have this problem?   just wanted to find out if this is common since its happened to me twice before i shoot rme an email.

www.myspace.com/lariotsofficial
www.myspace.com/orionjadis

Re: fireface 400 1/4" output problems

PLease contact Synthax US, they will help you.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Have you tried increasing the latency (buffer size) on your FF400 interface?  That should get rid of the crackling problem.

4 (edited by j0b 2008-03-21 21:44:32)

its a physical problem with the outputs, not a latency issue. .  cracking, volumes jumping around, etc.   since its happened to me on 2 units i thought it may be a common problem.  i'll hit up synthax. .

I had a similar issue with my FF400 of about the same age.  It appears to arise out of the transition to RoHS compliant production, which lead to fouling of the TRS contacts, and in my case was cured by a comprehensive cleaning of the contacts by the local distributor.  I'm sure Synthax will be able to rectify the problem.

If it is related, a hint.  Any TRS plugs you have inserted in these jacks should also be given a good cleaning - normal contact cleaner is fine.  The contaminant transfers to the surface of the plugs causing the problem to reappear if these plugs are used again on the FF400 or elsewhere.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

6 (edited by Getafix 2008-03-21 22:05:23)

I sometimes have a problem with the outputs (1&2) of my FF400 which are connected to my monitors. Suddenly one of the monitors will completely drop out in volume & if i give the cable connected to the outputs a twist the sound will come back again.

At first i thought it was my cables but after having gone through several cables & different monitors it is obvious that the problem is with the fireface. The problem has been there since the beginning so i doubt it has something to do with dirty contacts.

thanks.  that sounds like the problem.

Hi,

I have the same problem since 1 year, with a FireFace 400.. I sent it in Germany in the "constumer service" of the music shop.. But they haven't done a good repair (and the card is returned damaged... poorly packed in the box..).
I have always the problem.. Very poor contact on the Jack outputs.. It's very bad because I can't use it for gigs now... I don't know what can I do.. Now the card is no more under warranty..

Is there a solution ? Can I buy the jack output and replace it ?

Thanks !