Topic: Cannot update firmware on HDSP Multiface PCIe on Windows 7 64Bit

Hello,

I am reinstalling the main workstation today and it has the HDSP Multiface II PCIe combo. When I attempt to run the latest Flash Update tool....I double click on the file...get a message about running it in an "elevated" (Admin) state...and then nothing happens.

The card is installed and recognized and the cable is connected to the breakout box.

What am I missing?

Cheers!

VP

Re: Cannot update firmware on HDSP Multiface PCIe on Windows 7 64Bit

Update: Despite RME install protocols...I installed the driver first....then ran the Flash Update Tool...and it worked?

The instructions with 3.083 say the reverse order is required....oh well....it's working.

VP

No, the driver has to be installed first. The FUT can not update firmware if it can't see the card. The protocol you refer to is saying that you should then update the firmware before you use the audio device.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

No, the driver has to be installed first. The FUT can not update firmware if it can't see the card. The protocol you refer to is saying that you should then update the firmware before you use the audio device.

Not according to the readme.txt that comes with the driver archive:

Installation
-------------
1. Download the latest Flash Update Tool from the RME website:
http://www.rme-audio.com/download/fut_wdm_dsp.zip

The new PCIe cards have their own Flash Update Tool:
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fut_wdm_dspe.zip

2. Download the driver
http://www.rme-audio.com/download/hdsp_wdm_3xxxx.zip

3. Unzip both files. Start hdsp_wdm_fut.exe and update your hardware. Then switch off the computer. On next boot Windows will ask for new drivers, point to the directory where you unzipped them.

Call me crazy but step 3 is pretty clear. Or step 3 must make the assumption that the card is already installed with a previous driver. They might want to change that up for us fresh install/re-installer types

Cheers,

VP

Step 3: how can Windows ask for NEW drivers when there had not been others (older) before?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

We've been here before.

I trashed my PCMCIA card by following the instructions to the letter (despite them sounding a little crazy). Had to send it back to Germany.

That was last year.

I suggested then that the instructions should be updated.

Perhaps it's time to update them?

smile

7 (edited by Vocalpoint 2010-06-22 19:19:07)

MC wrote:

Step 3: how can Windows ask for NEW drivers when there had not been others (older) before?

That is not the point here. Windows 7 does not ask you about new drivers at all - at least my install did not. Of course - one quick trip to Device Manager "indicates" that drivers are missing.

The point here is - why does the official (and only) RME installation instruction set tell me to run the firmware updater if there are NO drivers present?

Then: Why doesn't the RME installation guide indicate that the firmware updater does NOT work if no previous drivers are present?

Finally: Why are there no instructions anywhere telling me what to do if I am brand new customer or I am performing a re-install?