Topic: HDSPe MADI not working with G5 Quad

I finally received my HDSPe MADI-card yesterday but now RME doesn't support the 'old' G5 - machines anymore!

Can you believe that RME doesn't make a PPC driver for the HDSPe-range...?

I was a RME-fan (I have 16 RME devices), but this is very disappointing!

Hegbert
Heg Productions Belgium

Re: HDSPe MADI not working with G5 Quad

Your statement is wrong. We still support 'old' G5 machines for all products. But we will not write a driver for a brand-new product to fit in an outdated and unique machine (the only one ever with PPC and PCIe slots). And BTW, this had never been announced to be supported.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Let me add a small comment to Matthias' statement. While we understand the situation is frustrating for you, let me mention that so far there we've had less than twenty users (closer to ten, actually) of such machines asking for PPC/PCIe drivers. Maybe there will be a few more, but even if, we'd have to develop and maintain a separate driver for less than 30 users of these outdated and discontinued Macs. And if we did, what would be the cut-off for discontinuing this driver again? When all but 10 users have moved to an Intel Mac? Or maybe 5? Or until the very last one has been replaced?

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

This is strage, as a RME-reseller I had allready 5 users asking for the PPC-driver for the HDSPe_MADI-card in one week... (incl Hegbert) (Only in Belgium)

Matthias Aerts
www.idealaudio.be
www.idealacoustics.be

Is this also the same for HDSP PCIe users on non-intel Mac G5s? I'm currently using the 1.6c drivers but experiencing some 'issues'.

6 (edited by Weasel 2007-09-01 10:28:11)

Your statement is wrong. We still support 'old' G5 machines for all products. But we will not write a driver for a brand-new product to fit in an outdated and unique machine (the only one ever with PPC and PCIe slots). And BTW, this had never been announced to be supported.

Actually, Carsten....this statement is not entirely correct. I am an owner of a Quad 2.5 gHz G5 PPC. It is equipped with PCIe slots only. No PCI or PCIx. All PCIe's.

I have to ask...how hard would it be to hack up a driver for the PPC PCIe equipped machines? Isn't PCIe PCIe? Regardless of the host CPU?

As a longtime owner of an HDSP-9652 (which is still happily thriving in a Dual 2.0 G5 PPC in my studio) I too, was disappointed when I tried to equip my 2nd machine (the above mentioned Quad 2.5 G5 PPC) with an HDSPe card and DigiFace combo. I can't tell you how miserable I was to discover to find out, after it arrived, that it wouldn't work on my G5's PCIe slot.

I had to send it back for a refund and settle for a @#$%^ MOTU 424e/2408mk3 combo. I found myself in a situation I had never been in before in my entire professional career....reluctantly returning gear for a refund.

By all that is holy....if you make a driver that works, I will publish a video on You Tube of me smashing that MOTU crackle-junk into dust with a sledge hammer. It would be criminal to try and resell it to some other unsuspecting newbie. Better off destroyed.

I'm pleading with you...please take a shot at generating a PPC PCIe driver. There really has to be more than 30 of us out here.

Weasel wrote:

By all that is holy....if you make a driver that works, I will publish a video on You Tube of me smashing that MOTU crackle-junk into dust with a sledge hammer.

Well ok, that's worth it :-)

Actually the existing driver 1.6c should have worked with the HDSP PCIe (Multiface/Digiface/RPM) as well. We just found a firmware bug in the PCIe card that might explain why it did not work. Problem is we can't test it as we do not own this particular model (and we do not want to own it anyway). That said, in case it really works with the update, then there still will never be a driver update for this machine, and all the new (additional) features of the PCIe cards are not available (more an issue with the HDSPe MADI). Also because of this we will never advertise the compatibility.

We just need someone to try the new firmware...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

We just need someone to try the new firmware...

Great...after I sent all the stuff back. I wish someone at Synthax looked into this a little more dilligently before authorizing the return.

I'd seriously love to try this. I just don't want to take a hit on the price of the gear if it doesn't work.

If it works....hello You Tube. Hello Mr. Sledgehammer.

OK....what do I need to do to get the ball rolling?

Synthax did not know about this - like anyone else. The new firmware is from 2 days ago.

And if you already did sent your stuff back we will find someone else to test this and post the result here.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

10 (edited by Weasel 2007-09-09 20:25:16)

Works for me. I can wait. Although I should like to point out that by now, anyone with a PCIe equipped PPC G5, probably doesn't own the card and I/O...meaning you may have to loan one out the gear to someone to test. Surely there must be someone in your neck of the woods that has a one of these machines willing to let you run some tests on?

The current firmware version 4 makes the HDSPe PCI compatible to the PPC PCIe machine. The video, please...fryingpan

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

12 (edited by Weasel 2007-10-06 07:46:56)

Oh, you'd like to see that. lol

Gee....I wish this had been done months ago. I'm gonna have to beg off and wait for the HDSP9652e solution before I go out and rent a sledgehammer for your amusement. An HDSP9652PCIe card had always been my first choice anyway. All of this waiting for over a year nonsense forced the MOTU solution on me in the first place. (You know, you could offer to subsidize the video wink. )

I guess if I waited this long,  I can wait a little longer. Now just to make sure, Mathias, your company IS making a PCIe replacement for the 9652? I have seen other postings on this forum intimating that this product is in development and will be released before the years end. Is this true or not?

The new 9652 is a completely new development and not just a 'porting the old 9652 to PCIe'. Therefore there will be no driver downward compatibility. For your case it simply means this new card will NOT run on the PPC PCIe machines, because there will be no driver for it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

14 (edited by Weasel 2007-10-09 00:38:08)

Geeez....there's no catching a break, is there. But certainly understandable.

Thanks for the information, Matthias. I'll wait til I move my design studio's 3gHz 8 core PowerMac into the audio room, replacing the G5. By then, the HDSPe 9652 will be finished and a few rev's on the driver will have happened. I can wait.

And unfortunately, this is about as close as you're ever going to get to that YouTube video:

no:fryingpan:roll