Topic: Multiface II PCIe Host Error

Hello,

Yesterday I began installing a new multiface II (PCIe), and it is having trouble connecting to the host. After checking that the installation is correct, swapping cables and insuring that I am using the most up to date drivers and firmware (firmware updates successfully), the multiface still does not function. Sometimes both midi lights stay on (with no midi connected) and the host light stays solid red. Other times the lights come on during the bootup, then all go dark. In both cases the software shows that the connection state is "Error". When it is in this state, I can open the accompanying software, but there is no audio.

The PCI card is rev 1.1, and the website states that PCI cards older than rev 1.9 do not supply enough current to the Multiface, so an external power supply is required. Can anyone confirm that this applies to the PCIe card, and not just the PCI version? Also, it seems odd that the unit would ship with such an old revision of the card. Should it have shipped with a newer revision card since I bought this a week ago?

For reference, I have been setting up and using computer recording solutions for over a decade, and the hardware is installed on a Xenon quad core PC running a fresh install of windows 7, no other hardware installed yet. I would appreciate your guidance in helping me get this system up and running.

Thanks and Best,
Ben
www.isotopeofme.com

Re: Multiface II PCIe Host Error

You mention it yourself - the website talks about PCI cards, you have PCI Express. Can you try a different FireWire cable?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by isotopeofme 2010-06-25 23:02:57)

Hi Matthias,

I've tried 2 cables now. Also, on the advice of Jeff from Synthax US, I am powering the unit from an external power supply. At first it worked (for about 5 min) then the issue came up again. As before, the midi lights both stay on, as does the host light. Seems likely that I'm going to have to try to exchange the unit for another. Would definitely appreciate any other advice or tips that you have.

Regards,
Ben

Will the mixer and settings window open up? Have you tried the card in another slot?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel,

Yes, when the error occurs, the mixer and settings open up. If audio was playing when the unit lost contact  the mixer shows the audio levels frozen where they were until the system is restarted (power cycled). You can still open and close both windows, but the settings dialogue indicates the communication error.

I did try the card in a different PCIe slot, and got the same results.

Still open to other ideas if anyone has any, but think I'm going to have to swap it out for another unit. I'm starting to think that there is something wrong with this particular one. Unfortunate, but the exact reason that one upgrades core elements of the studio when there are no projects in the immediate pipeline.

Thanks,
Ben