Topic: analog mic input level is too high

HI there,

A strange thing with my new fireface 800. The levels on the analog channels were very high. So high I didn't need any boost from my preamp. If I used the preamp it would increase the volume easily into distortion range. I tried adjusting in the setup software. Nothing seemed to make a difference. What is it I am not getting right?

Thanks for any help.

rwa

Re: analog mic input level is too high

Which analog channels are you referring to?

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel,

I was getting the raised level through all the channels I tried. Both the ones with preamps and the ones without.

rwa

Hello,

the rear line inputs don't apply any gain.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel,

That's the odd thing for me. I know the rear inputs don't add gain yet there was. I used both a mic requiring phantom power and one not. Both had gain on them thru the rear inputs with out any preamp applied. I tried different pres. It just seems very strange. Could it be a faulty machine?

Thanks.

rwa

Hello,

Here is more info.

Mac Pro  OSX 10.5.8
2.8 GHz
  Number Of Processors:    1
  Total Number Of Cores:    4
  L2 Cache:    4 MB
  Memory:    8 GB
nVidia GeForce 9500GT
built in audio
audio software: Reaper 3.51

rwa

Hi rwa,

First, you should not connect an outboard preamp output to the FF800 preamp input. Only use the rear panel inputs for line level signal.

Next, there is only a rudimentary level matching system for these rear panel inputs. Typically, choose +4 or -10 for these based on the outboard device output level. +4 would be a good choice if the preamp is outputting balanced audio, and you're using a TRS/XLR cable.

If the level is still too hot coming in, even after matching levels between the preamp and the Fireface, then you have to control this level at the preamp output stage.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Dude did u sort this?

Did you get flange/robot distortion sound at High Levels??