Topic: HDSPexpressCard with Multiface I/O TotalMix/DC shows not real activity

Welcome!

I have a Toshiba Satellite a200 1iw-ge LAPTOP with 4G RAM and I've installed the HDSP expresscard's driver onto Win7-64 properly - I also updated the card's flash with latest firmware update
(when the card is in, Hammerfall DSP settings say: Windows WDM, driver date 02/19/2010, version 3.08.3
Hardware revision 18, SN 22752289 - and, yes, this card was already asked back from RME for replacement - regarding to the SerialNumber issue- and then the card returned to the shop and after that I've managed to buy it...)

I had a scenario when the MF went crazy when I connected with the expresscard (and MF goes with the card's given powersupply):
DSP settings and mixer signals showed extensive chaos white noise expression what I experienced with the HDSPe's given silvercoloured firewire cable
I typed in the long description of the issue to the forum tonight (after probing it for 2 weeks, even I spoke with the official RME card dealer from who I bought the card) to ask assistance, when I've decided to try the issue with the Multiface's original FW cable(short, black) what with the MF is actually working absolutely perfectly on the desktop computer's HDSP PCI card.

Then the crazy hell-like audial punishment stopped -as well the blinking red sign on the MF - and then the DSP settings said - "Digiface" - ok, I read this on the forum, no problem -- I restarted the driver and then it finally recognized the Multiface as Multiface -- however...

All TotalMix function apparently work fine - but then Input/Output level is showing extreme activity - but I don't hear a thing

Then I turn on my external, jacked in Synth/Groovebox - and start to play with them - they sound crystalclear - without noise - but the TotalMixer picks up strange -white-like-noise -- what even Digicheck shows --

So it - at last - finally starts to work - but it is still a way to go to experience the usual perfect 'clinical' RME experience...

( -- even I had totalmix crash several times when i was poking around with the cable/Multiface/card--) - but that's maybe a Win764 issue?

thanks for being, much apritiated, best regards: T.

(here is the momentary snapshot of the 'silent' Multiface -- with analog 5/6 and 7/8 inputs as active but silent - also used output analogue 7/8 to connect to AMP is silent as it should be in this case...
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8wYb8vIL35E/TCKhbkjV8bI/AAAAAAAAAzc/ygfq-cWg-yA/s1600/hdspeTotalmix.jpg

Re: HDSPexpressCard with Multiface I/O TotalMix/DC shows not real activity

ping

Did you ever switch everything off, wait a minute then turn on again? Or boot the laptop first, then insert the ExpressCard?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by talamonjosephberta 2010-07-02 00:15:17)

Yes, I've tried to switch everything(laptop-with card/laptop without card + the adapter for hdspECard with the Multiface) off - then plug both in and boot up win7  - or power up MF and turn on laptop without rme-card plugged in and after booting win7 up, card plugging in --- all results the same.

I reinvestigated the issue - it looks like when input somehow directly mapped to output - it is no problem with sounding - but these fake signals occur in the mixer -- and if I plug in/out the card more than 2-3 times HDSP mixer app crashes -- it is also fascinating that when I 'monitor' these 'false white-noise-like' input signals with Cubase - actually I can hear and record them - and in these cases - the noise is being mixed up with the actual line inputs...

So I made up a video about that experiment - maybe gives you an idea what happens...

http://www.vimeo.com/13019711

thanks! J.

hi Matthias !

It is working!
Simply I just went into a music shop where I bought a Roline FireWire 6/6 1,8m cable - with I plugged in all together before starting up the laptop (also powering up MF with the card's adapter) - and now it works -- all fine!
No noise - no bug, no crash - I already monitor and record stuff directly with the card - flawless like magic . No CPU spikes, no cracks - ok at about 1.5 ms latency VST cracks - but that's okay for now...

What I noticed that if I push in the FW cable a bit less gentle, then the card can give a 'clicking' sound - similar like a mouse - but I try not to strech it anyway haha

I spoke with the local RME dealer and he offered me to replace the firewire cable what I got with the HDSPExpresscard.

that's it for now, thanks!