Topic: FIREFACE UC IMAC I-7 with XP on parrallel desktop 5 or VIRTUALBOX

Hi
desesperatly trying to make the UC working  ...

With XP on VIRTUAL BOX :
No way, the audio is linked ONLY with the internal audio card of the IMac, so ... forget it

With XP on Parralell 5:
So far, I can run it but the sound is awfull from any player or audacity...So , I don't figure it out working with cubase

So...
Maybe should I try with bootcamp ?
If anybody already tried it please post your comment here, so other don't waste time ...

By the way, no problem on the Imac with garage band

(I m waiting to export all my audio tracks from cubase to import them in garage band before I get the money to buy logic audio
and that's just why I need to virtualize XP (precision for anybody wondering why I m trying to use windows XP on a IMAC I-7 !!!!!)

Thancks to anybody having any trick to make it work or just posting about his own try (successfull or not)

Re: FIREFACE UC IMAC I-7 with XP on parrallel desktop 5 or VIRTUALBOX

Maybe should I try with bootcamp ?

You should. Don?t waste your time with virtualisation software. This will never run trouble free.

Bootcamp is the perfect solution - on most Macs even better than usual PCs. We got countless examples of successful Bootcamp setups with FF400 or UC. E.g.: The recording setup of the KISS live show uses two parallel Macbooks setups running Bootcamp and Samplitude with two UCs (see the 2-part video documentation on the RME Youtube channel soon).

best regards
Knut

Well, thanks for the fast answer !
maybe this post should be permanent to avoid other users to waste time trying (and when you install xp it can take a long time before the updates are all set up !) virtualisation softwares.
Can't wait to see the video ! (Iiiiiiii...wanna rock and roll all nights and party every dayyyyyyyy !!)
Best regards

brindacier

By the way... Before throwing myself in the bootcamp thing ...
Can I hope making Cubase 5 working fine with Xp on Bootcamp ?

Thanks

best regards

brindacier

Can I hope making Cubase 5 working fine with Xp on Bootcamp ?

Yes. A Mac with Bootcamp is a normal PC.

best regards
Knut

If you run into any troubles with bootcamped Windows, read this: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4320 wink

Looking forward to that Kiss video docu.

@timur, thanks  for the link but before running into next troubles, I will have to find a compatible keyboard (usb) because no serial nor wireless with xp installation !
I will post later to relate my experience with bootcamp for others users.
But right now it's beach time ;-) it's pretty hot over here (Montpellier, France)

The Apple wireless blutooth keyboard works as should some wireless (usb receiver) ones depending on the make.

but if it does not I might be stuck on the reboot step  of the windows install or will I be able to boot as usual with OS X ? ok... I gonna try with a wireless one ! Thanks for the tip

10 (edited by Timur 2010-07-04 17:47:50)

The Apple wireless keyboard and mouse/track are detected by the Mac during boot already (you can use them for boot selection if you press Alt), the same applies to my wireless Logitech mouse (USB dongle). A Microsoft mouse I tried before did not work. The ones that work can be used by Windows Setup/command line/repair screen even if no driver is loaded.

You might need to click some key or button and wait some seconds for it being connected (happens with the Apple Blutooth ones, not with my Logitech one).

Once you start the Bootcamp installation OS X will set the boot order to the Windows partition, so you can just wait for the Windows installer to do its own restart and it will boot into Windows. If you need to boot into OS X in between you can hold ALT to chose the OS X partition, but you need a working keyboard/mouse for this, too. Once Windows has copied all files it should load a working mouse-driver anyway, so any mouse should work from that point on.

Looking forward to that Kiss video docu.

Part 1 is up now. Part 2 will follow in the next days.

best regards
Knut

by the way
my bootcamp install of windows XP2 is a success
I installed cubase vst 5 and all is running fine on my Imac I7.
I didn't have the time to test with my biggests projects (to compare latency with my old set up on a HP pavillon with Vista and a Firewire 410) but I m sure It can't be worse !
the only problem I met is with audio files running in audacity with the card set up by default in XP SP2.
They seems to not be played to the right speed as if the clock was not synking properly.
Please forgive my incorrect english because I m french and I m trying hard for my experience to be valuable for other so don't hesitate to correct me if you think the sense is suffering of my lack of vocabulary.
The other annoying thing is that I had to install of cracked version of windows XP because my original CD was not with the SP2 and it was a required point in the manual.
When I will have more time I will learn how to make a bootable CD of windows with all the last update...
Or I will buy logic audio and convert my hundred songs to make music on OSX (it's the main goal)
I bought a MAC because I was tired of problems with windows (especially VISTA !!) and since I received it I spent more time on Windows than on OSX !!!!
Ok, let's see this kiss video !!!

I didn't have the time to test with my biggests projects (to compare latency with my old set up on a HP pavillon with Vista and a Firewire 410) but I m sure It can't be worse !

If you got latency results, we can post them in our list of tested USB systems.

best regards
Knut

I will post them as soon as possible !
I will be touring quite a lot  these days so between 2 gigs, I hope I will touch the ground long enough to plug something on it and test this so long awaited system !