Topic: The Logic/Checking Midi Drivers problem

hello

While i have seen other posts with similar problems, i've not seen a recent thread wherein a solution was provided, so i decided to go ahead and post my question.

I'm having the problem with Logic (8.x), where after connecting a fireface 800 and installing the RME drivers/software, Logic freezes on the splash screen at the stage where it reports "Checking Midi Drivers".

steps:

Used Logic successfully on Macbook Pro with *NO external hardware*
Purchased Fireface 800
downloaded RME/Fireface drivers for intel mac
(i'm still running 10.5.x, haven't moved to snow leopard)
installed RME drivers

ran Logic - failed while "checking midi drivers".

I've seen postings regarding this from 2 years ago where it was suggested to download a "settings app"..

but that app seems to be bundled and installed with the Total Mix software, so i'm assuming the one in the latest software download is the one to use.

So - it begs the question - is there a known fix to this problem?

important things to note :
Pro Tools LE has been installed on this machine and coexisting peacefully
with logic for more than a year

Nuendo 4 is installed on this machine, and has also been coexisting peacefully for significant period of time.

thanks in advance,
-dan
Macbook Pro 17" (purchased jul 2007)
OS X 10.5.8
Logic 8
RME Fireface 800, connected with FW800

Re: The Logic/Checking Midi Drivers problem

Thought i should give an update on this ...

I was actually able to solve the problem (i think). I simply searched the entire hard drive and removed everything i could find that seemed like it had to do with the fireface. Preferences, Library, the application(s).. and i think there was one other thing i am having trouble remembering.

After cleaning everything off - i reinstalled, and now everything works - even after several launches and closes of Logic - Logic continues to open fine every time.

From here i'll now have to figure out why the audio is distorting in logic (seems to be running generally hot, but i dont see why it is).. doesn't do this when using the built in audio driver. hmmm...

if i get a handle on that, i'll post as well.

anyone else having problems with logic and the FF800?