1 (edited by laszlozsolt82 2010-07-12 00:08:59)

Topic: FF 400 Di HI Z input is changed and superior to the FF 800?

FF 400 Di HI Z input is changed and superior to the FF 800?

Hi everybody!

Some people say that the instrument input on fireface 800 (channel 1) is NOT ok for di guitar
i have an FF400 unit and peopel are saying that tha instrument input on these newer units are significantly better then in the 800 version,is it true?
I recently posted some threads about my problem recording DI signals into FF400 , got active EMG 81 pickups ,the signal was clipping and i was not happy with the result, still don`t know how to handle this problem.The administrator says active picups don`t need the HI z input, but if i turn off the instrument option the signal is so "lifeless" reamped....
If anybody has any experience with this units please inform me about this.

Re: FF 400 Di HI Z input is changed and superior to the FF 800?

The instrument in on FF800 is definately very ok for guitar. I'm using it often and it sounds as I expect it to. Active guitars can come in too hot sometimes, even at lowest gain and can be used on a line in.

What exactly do you mean by 'lifeless reamped"? Do you record 'naked' with the HI Z or line in and reamp it via reamping box/real amp? This could be a simple level mismatch, the di signal you send through the reamper could be lower than the instrument level. Turn up your reamping output in total mix and hear what happens.

I'm just speaking of my FF800 experience here and haven't worked with FF400 yet, but I think the workflow shouldn't differ too much.