Topic: Connecting monitors to Multiface?

I have a few questions about connecting monitors to my Multiface 1.

1. Is it ok to connect monitors directly to my Multiface or should I use a passive monitor mixer or volume controller between the Multiface and the speakers?

2. How do I connect monitors to the Multiface? 

3. If the speakers have an SPDIF connection can I connect this to the Multiface SPDIF and have a direct digital output from my PC to the speakers?

I've tried googling the internet and searching this forum for a straight forward guide about all this but can't find anything that clearly explains  connecting speakers to the Multiface 1.

I'm going to buy a PCIe card for my Multiface now that I've built a new Win7 PC and I want to connect speakers to it.  Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Re: Connecting monitors to Multiface?

You haven't found a guide probably because it's so simple rotfl

But seriously, the only major problem with connecting speakers directly to the Multiface is that if there's a stuck buffer playing back due to a software or system crash, or other issues causing loud sustained noise like user-caused feedback,  there's no quick way to quickly mute the speakers. IMHO, the Multiface (any sound card, really) should be equipped with a tactile kill-switch (even better a remote one you can keep next to your keyboard) that you can just reach and push in case of emergency. It's actually quite simple to make your own, but requires some elementary technical savvy. If you're working with stereo there are a some cheaper passive units available that provide you with gain and mute. If you're doing 5.1 surround, it's a lot more expensive.

What kind of speakers do you have? If you have speakers with digital inputs, the quality of their conversion may be excellent and you may be able to mute them from the computer.

PC1 = HDSPe PCIe: DF-ADI-8 DS / HDSPe PCIe: MF2
MBP = HDSPe Expresscard: MF1

Hi, thanks for your answer.  I thought I might be over-complicating things.  I spent all that money for the Multiface so I convinced myself it must be complicated connecting speakers.  I've mainly been using headphones and USB computer speakers to monitor my music.  I'm at college creating sound and art installations and I don't think I need (nor can I afford) expensive monitors at home to mix with.

The speakers I was thinking of buying are the Behringer MS40:

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/b … ors--34409

They have a SPDIF connection but I'm not sure if it'll work with the Multiface.

4 (edited by undertone 2010-07-08 19:35:01)

I can't say that I approve of your choice of speakers... but SPDIF is SPDIF: it's a standard so you can just connect the SPDIF (COAX or Toslink) from the Multiface to your speakers; with the aforementioned caveat... You also may have to reroute your main outputs (usually channel 1 and 2) to the SPDIF out in Totalmix.

PC1 = HDSPe PCIe: DF-ADI-8 DS / HDSPe PCIe: MF2
MBP = HDSPe Expresscard: MF1

These speakers have analog inputs as well, and probably will perform better when connected this way.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

If analogue connections are better then perhaps I should buy something else but I'm not sure what would be worth buying for about ?100.  Perhaps there aren't any monitors in that price range that are any good.  I'm upgrading my Multiface PCI card to PCIe so I can't afford to spend too much on monitors at the moment.  I will have access to really good audio equipment at uni but I need a rudimentary set up at home to develop my ideas.