Topic: Guitar Rig 4 Pro and FF400 Instrument Input?

Hey everyone!

There's a topic in the Sonar forum over at Cakewalk on how to get a better guitar tone into Guitar Rig 4.  Someone there mentioned this device:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr … sku=485463

It's supposed to match the output impedance of my guitar to that of the inputs of my audio interface.  However, do I really need this?  Or does the FF400 already does this?

In the case I do need such device to get a better guitar tone into GR4, is there be a better sounding choice than the Zbox?

Thanks in advance!

Core i7 4770K | 32GB of RAM | Windows 7 Pro (SP1) 64 bit | Cubase 8.5 64 bit | RME FireFace UCX |

Re: Guitar Rig 4 Pro and FF400 Instrument Input?

No takers? :-(

Core i7 4770K | 32GB of RAM | Windows 7 Pro (SP1) 64 bit | Cubase 8.5 64 bit | RME FireFace UCX |

The instrument inputs already do this. You just plug in your guitar and set the Fireface settings for this input to Instrument.

That's what I thought too.  Thanks for replying Timur :-)

Hmmm, someone made an interesting point over at the Sonar forum.

He's saying that the Input impedance of guitar amps is 1MOhm, while the usual range for Instrument Inputs on audio interfaces is around the 300KOhm - 500KOHm range.  I just checked the FF400's manual (page 55), and the Instrument Input impedance is indeed 470KOhm, which less than half of what a guitar amp has.  Assuming this is true, then I probably DO need a Zbox type device to correct for this mismatch?

Not necessarily. 470 kOhm should be suffient in most cases. You can also use about *any* stomp-box in between your guitar and the FF instead of a ZBox type, although those may not be transparent when switched to bypass.

In the end you have to try yourself and judge by ears.

Yeah, I've read about using stomp boxes in between the signal path (preferably a compressor pedal), but I don't own any.

I guess I'll have to give it a try and see if it really makes any difference.  Thanks for your responses Timur!  I apreciate your time :-)

Basically you don't need it, as input 3 and 4 can be switched to Hi-Z mode.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Basically you don't need it, as input 3 and 4 can be switched to Hi-Z mode.

You were right, of course. 

I got the Zbox and made some comparisons against the FF400's Instrument Inputs, but the differences were too subtle to even bother.

At least for Fireface users, the Zbox is NOT a must-have item.  Good thing Musician's Friend sent me two gifts (a 2GB USB flash drive and a Razor :-P) when I ordered. 

Now I don't feel as bad about spending that money :-)

Take care guys!