Topic: UC bluescreens in windows 7

I bought the UC after the salesman convinced me I would get better troublefree operation from it than the 400.

After some initial troubles I thought I had everything sorted out.

Problem is, I get bluescreens on random occasions (that states BUGUSBDRIVER), after which the laptop just restarts. Meaning changes to projects not saved are lost. This can get really annoying when it happens like 4 times in half an hour.
It happens at complete random moments, even when I'm not touching anything.

I have a hp pavillion dv6500 laptop (ich8 usb2), windows 7,  UC+mouse+K61 keyboard on usb.

At the moment I have to decide before saturday if I wil return the UC form something else. Are the fireface400 or the multiface on pcmcia more stable? 

Tomorrow I'll do extensive testing on my other pc, which runs xp sp2 and wil let you know the results.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'll provide you with any extra info needed, I'll try and make a print of the bluscreen.

Kind regards,
Mario.

Re: UC bluescreens in windows 7

Latest driver and firmware installed? Perhaps try without the mouse & keyboard attached, and any extra drivers for these devices removed. The Logitech driver has caused me some trouble in the past with a different device.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Latest drivers and firmware installed.

One weird thing is, the k61 controller keyboard I use, which is also on the usb port, won't work after these bluescreen crashes. To get it working again, I have to start z3ta standalone, select k61 the as input keyboard, it then starts working again.
I reopen Reaper, and it also wil work again in reaper.

Any more tech info needed please ask. I'll post u further test result tomorrow.

Thanks in advance

What is the exact name of the bug report? Sound more like your USB power driver is crashing than the FF UC driver crashing.

Make sure to turn off all power-saving on the USB ports via device-manager "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power". Also try to use the "High performance" power-profile of Windows..

5 (edited by Brwaap 2010-07-22 14:19:50)

Laptop is now set up for performance, all other devices are turned off. The controller keyboard has it's own powersupply, I'm not using the usb power for that.

This is the bluescreen I keep getting.

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/4748/img2654tz.jpg

More observations:

I have several more pics of bluescreens I ran into today, all the same BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER, but with different numbers after the "Technical information: ***stop:" line.

Plugged the KP61 keyboard into the 'midi in' of the UC, figuring there might be something wrong with it's usb connection; the 'midi in' led flickers, so I replaced it with my microkorg, and now the 'midi in' led remains lit. Eureka!
One hour later: bluescreen.
There are no more devices left on my usb port except for the UC and a (microsoft)mouse. Tried it on Reaper and Cubase SX3.

Restart laptop, play an audio file in mediaplayer just to check, I move the mouse and sound plays superfastforward?! Press stop and play another file, sound plays fine again... Anyway, all this seems far from stable.

I'll start testing on my other pc now, but I'm running out of options here.

Anyone, please help?

Check for updated BIOS and chipset drivers from HP.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.