Topic: HDSPe AIO in Magma chassis with Dell laptop

Greetings!

Since I'm about to purchase an HDSPe AIO--to augment my HDSPe AES32 card with more i/o capacity--and I'm going to be installing it in my recently upgraded (to PCIe) Magma ExpressBox4 expansion chassis (since there's insufficient room inside my Mac Pro for the AIO and the two analog input and output cards)..  it occurred to me that, for another $400 or so, I could purchase the Magma ExpressCard 34 interface and cable and, in theory, be able to use the HDSPe AIO, in the Magma chassis, with my Dell Studio 15 laptop.  Right  now, I use an M-Audio 2626 FW interface--and an external Genex ADC box--with it (when I record on location with Pyramix), but the new RME card would obviously be much better, and more convenient--and also allow me to do 176.4 and 192kHz, which the M-Audio solution doesn't support.  Right now I have a UAD Solo Laptop card in that slot in the Dell, but wouldn't need to use it when I record on location so, again in theory, I could put the Magma Express Card/34 host card in there instead.

So.. has anyone attempted to use an RME PCIe card in a Magma chassis with a PC laptop?  Is there any reason why this scheme of mine wouldn't work?  (I'm assuming Pyramix and/or Sonar would be happy..)

Just looking for an additional way to leverage my investment in the new RME card and the Magma expansion chassis upgrade..  ;>)

Thanks!

"Dr. Fred"

Re: HDSPe AIO in Magma chassis with Dell laptop

I asked the same question a while back regarding my Raydat and a Magma Expressbox Pro. I didn't get an answer, but I ordered one yesterday anyway because it was offered for a ridiculously low price. I expect it to be delivered this week and I'll update you as soon as I know how it works. I expect your configuration to work if mine does smile

Received the Magma Expressbox today and it's working brilliantly with my Raydat. I'd say you're good to go.

Hi!

Well, it's good to read this news.  I finally called Jeff in Ohio the other day--not having seen his usual helpful replies to my questions--and, when I told him that my UAD Solo Laptop Express 34 card works in that Dell laptop.. he said he saw no reason that the Magma chassis and, therefore, the HDSPe AIO shouldn't also work. 

So I ordered the whole shebang from Magma--the $1,599 upgrade of my 4-slot chassis (from PCI to PCIe) and the extra ExpressCard 34 interface and 3-meter cable.  And, of course, the RME card and expansion daughter boards from Sweetwater.

I'll post here when my Magma chassis returns from California along with the laptop parts.. and I get everything working properly.  I'm sure the RME stuff will arrive first.

But it's good to know that I'm no longer alone.  ;>)

Thanks!

"Dr. Fred"