Topic: Dell laptop + FF400 = BSoD (Win 7)(Ableton)

Apologies if this has been covered before but I'm thoroughly confused!

Dell XPS M1530 is a reasonably decent laptop (I thought) but since hooking it up to the FF400 I've had no end of issue, the worst being the BSoD which seems to point at problems with the firewire connection (1394ohci.sys).  Yesterday I had Ableton running smoothly, today I've watched the laptop restart about 25 times (it's quite frustrating).

Having read a few threads it seems there are different opinions:
Buy a new laptop - but not a DELL
Unscrew something that disables the DVD drive (!)
Tinker with the REGEDIT to disable the DVD drive
Disable some NVIDIA video drivers that seem to have conflicting IRQ's
Something about the Firewire chip being rubbish...

Now some of this advice goes back a few years and related to older operating systems and different models of laptop, so I'm very reluctant to try any of the above since I'm not hugely confident and will probably end up with something that won't even boot up.

I would be MASSIVELY grateful to anyone that can help me get this laptop playing nicely & consistently with the FF400 before I lose it completely.

I've done many of the tweaks for audio and tried to disable anything that is unneccessary.

many thanks

Julius

DELL XPS M1530
Firewire 400
Ableton Live (current)

Re: Dell laptop + FF400 = BSoD (Win 7)(Ableton)

Try the legacy Firewire/1394 driver (change via Device-Manager) or try this hotfix for the non-legacy driver: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3 … 0&y=14

Try a different 4pin-to-6pin adapter.

Make sure to update to your laptop's most current BIOS/firmware.

Hello Timur

Thanks for your speedy response.

I ran the hotfix a couple of weeks ago.  No joy.

I've opened up the Device Manager but unsure how to select the legacy driver... I can see options to update, disable, uninstall... the Ricoh 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller is the only thing listed under IEEE 1393 Bus host controllers.

I've tried 2 cables.  Maybe I'll try and get hold of a shorter one & see if that helps.

will also try and update BIOS/ firmware.

J

Use "Update Driver", there should be a list of three drivers, one with the supplement "(legacy)" to its name.

One more thing: Either use the "High Performance" power profile or manually change your profile so that "PCI Express -> PCI Link State" is set to OFF.

nightmare.  there weems to be a few threads here with a common theme:  the Fireface doesn't work very well with ALL computer.

7 (edited by 19 frets 2010-07-15 17:30:34)

julius:

It's NOT the Fireface!  It's ALL commercial grade laptops with ALL Firewire interfaces!  Unfortunately, the only apparant solution is an expensive laptop built for audio recording work from a hand full of specialized vendors.  If you must use a laptop, this is the only reliable solution from what I have seen on this and many other forums.

I have been able to get my Dell XPS M1530 to work reliably with two Firewire 800's for live recording, but I only record a maximun of eight simultanious audio channels at 24 bit, 44.1khz.  I accomplished this by using some of the tips offered here and on other sites that will help to optimize your commercial laptop to get the best possible performance out of it.  This may or may not be enough for what you need.

But RME Firefaces work great and are most likely not the source of your problem.  To vefify this, hook your Fireface up to any desktop PC and see if you get the same results.  If so, you may have a defective Fireface.  But on the whole they work great and are rock solid interfaces.  Hope this helps a bit.

Hi 19 frets

I'm delighted that you have the same laptop as me and have got it running smoothly with the FF800.  So it must be possible - it's getting there that seems such a nightmare.

As for recording 8 channels of simultaneous audio...  i'd be delighted if I can get it to playback a stereo audio file without errors.  Clearly there are further tweaks that need to be made to optimise my setup, but I feel I'm already out of my league with talk of BIOS tweaks, etc.  Rather than chuck away a reasonably decent computer (or so i thought) can you recommend anyone/ company (preferably in UK) who would be able to make it good (even if this costs a few quid)??

thanks

Julius

I've had the same problem with a new Dell Studio 17 Laptop.
After reading a lot of different sites in the www I've decided to try once again a Dell Studio 1645.
I've read this page: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-co … nning.html
Maybe it helps.
I'm going to test the Laptop (it will arrive next week) and if it doesn't work well enough, I've to buy an expensieve one...

What about a firewire express card with ti chipset ? For me it worked well on a dell studio 1557.

alex84xela wrote:

What about a firewire express card with ti chipset ? For me it worked well on a dell studio 1557.

gonna try that next.  I have found a Firewire 400 TI Chipset ExpressCard (2-port) at Gear4Music (http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and … 2-port/8EB) for ?40 and will start praying that this puts me out of my misery.

thanks and watch this space (or the space below it)

Julius

Ive just tested a new Dell Studio XPS 1645 with the fireface 800.
I must say it works fine. Cubase 5.5 and the newest drivers work together very well.
NI Kontakt 4 takes a lot of power for itself but it seems to be o.k.
I cant unterstand it, because I've just tested a new Dell 1721 and it was a desaster...

so i bought a Belkin Firewire 400 TI Chipset ExpressCard...

I am no longer getting the BSOD or the dreaded digital drone (see thread: "FF 400 goes into "loop" (endless beep sound)") but I am still getting errors in the settings dialog which coincide with obvious timing drop-outs.  This happens very regularly with Ableton Live, but also with iTunes as well.

I seems to have developed a new hobby - tinkering with ever varable that can be tinkered with, in the vein hope of resolving this issue.

I am close to reaching the end of the line with this incompatability and I'm afraid the RME & the FF400 are going to lose (ie I will not risk buying  another RME product EVER).  I've wasted enough time already.

Julius

Please run the DPC Latency Checker and post a screenshot.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

julius wrote:

so i bought a Belkin Firewire 400 TI Chipset ExpressCard...

I am no longer getting the BSOD or the dreaded digital drone (see thread: "FF 400 goes into "loop" (endless beep sound)") but I am still getting errors in the settings dialog which coincide with obvious timing drop-outs.  This happens very regularly with Ableton Live, but also with iTunes as well.

I seems to have developed a new hobby - tinkering with ever varable that can be tinkered with, in the vein hope of resolving this issue.

I am close to reaching the end of the line with this incompatability and I'm afraid the RME & the FF400 are going to lose (ie I will not risk buying  another RME product EVER).  I've wasted enough time already.

Julius

its your laptop, no matter what firewire interface you buy it wont work. its not the RME gear! in fact if anything is going to work its RME.
most off the shelf laptops wont work with firewire.
there are numerous threads in this forum about it and hundreds more in other forums.

so please dont blame RME

Scott
ADK