Topic: FireFace UC - can it run at a 48 Sample Buffer with *huge* projects ?

Hi all

I have my  FFUC  [ with a BF on order ]  but as I mentioned in my prior thread, my main DAW is currenlty down and being re-built, so I can only run my FFUC [ for the next week or so ]  on an old laptop.

So ....... given I cant actually  yet test the below myself,  I am wondering.

=> my  currently-being-rebuilt  DAW is a 4.2gig Intel i7 which was running a Layla 3G at a permanent 32 Sample Buffer when running Windows 7 X64 - I run Sonar 8.5.3 X64 and have many projects that sit on a CPU Load of  ~%70 or more - no problems, all rock solid  [ lots of VSTi's, EFX, direct input monitoring etc..... ]

=> I also know the FFUC, in a well and properly configured DAW,  can run fine at a 48 Sample Buffer.

So ........ when I get to installing the FFUC on my  [ soon to be renewed ]  4.2gig i7  and load up these same [ old Layla 3G ]   huge-cpu-load-projects,  should I expect the FFUC to handle them?

Or put another way .......when running a FFUC  - and assuming a fixed sample buffer setting of 48 samples - will the size of the song / project that can be recorded and played back be limited by the  FFUC  USB protocol and driver  *or*  by the sheer power and grunt of the host DAW  ?

Ben

Re: FireFace UC - can it run at a 48 Sample Buffer with *huge* projects ?

The UC (or any other audio device) doesn't actually "handle" these projects. Channel count will be limited by CPU resources and (to some extent) hard drive speed.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by ben ifin 2010-08-11 11:48:18)

Hi Daniel

Pardon my terminolgy and lack-of-technicality,  but isnt there some sort of a " throughput "  issue  between the hosts DAW CPU power and the Audio Interface processing all the audio ?

Or put another way, is it correct to say that:-

=>  assuming the same DAW power for each,   the FFUC's efficiency is such, that for all intents and purposes,  it will handle any given  ultra-low-latency-huge-project  [essentially]  just as efficiently as a PCI / PCI-E audio interface ?

Ben

The audio interface does not "process" or "handle" audio projects as such. The DAW software does, using the CPU (or an additional DSP card). In priciple, the audio interface receives a finished product, i.e. a downmix. Whether this is a mix of 2 or 200 tracks is not something the audio interface is even aware of.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME