Topic: Babyface headphone output power

Is there a spec yet for the Babyface headphone output please? The Digiface I had was bit weak, I'm hoping for something with a bit more thump. Thanks.

Dominic

Re: Babyface headphone output power

Digiface and Babyface phones output are nearly identical, they both use +/-5V power supply. If you really need it hot with hi-impedance phones then you need a dedicated headphone amp. BTW, our other units with Hi-Power phones output use +/- 15V. No way to do this with a device that is designed to be used USB bus-powered.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Babyface headphone output power

Thanks Matthias. I have to say that my current USB bus-powered interface (Sound Devices USBPre) has an extremely loud headphone output, albeit with not a very good distortion figure (1% THD, +11dBu 2.75V RMS into 600 ohms, output impedance 20 ohms). It certainly goes very loud into Sony MDR 7506 (63 ohms) and Sennheiser HD650 (300 ohms) 'phones. The Digiface has a lower spec (Maximum output level at 0 dBFS: +8 dBu) but I'm not sure if these relate. Anyway, it's possible to make a loud USB-powered headphone output, although the compromises necessary may not suit RME and you've obviously completed the design and build already. Thanks for your time.

Dominic