Topic: FF 800 not see on Windows 7 / Bootcamp

hi all

running a Mac Pro 2.66 Quad Intel Xeon.

Attempting to get RME FF 800 seen by Windows 7 running within Bootcamp so i can use Samplitude 11.

FF800 runs fine in Mac mode.

Device manager in PC mode doesn't see FF800 in Sound Video tab or anywhere for that matter.So im unable to
even start installing the latest FF800 Drivers.

Tried changing  IEEE 1394 driver to legacy  (no go)

Have changed and checked firewire cables etc.

I fear this is going to be a chipset not compatible issue ,any ideas please gurus?

Thank you for your time.

David

Re: FF 800 not see on Windows 7 / Bootcamp

Did you seee http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7348?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yes i have seen that post but i cant begin the installation until the device shows itself.

Do you see anything listed under "Other Devices" with a yellow mark? Usually, before the driver is installed, the RME device shows up as "Unknown Device" or "Multimedia Audio Controller".

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I have the same problem on windows 7. when i switch on the FF800 nothing appears on the desktop. so i can't follow any installation procedure. my firewire card appears correctly in devices management. So I NEED SOME HELP!!

There is nothing expected to be seen 'on the desktop'. See link above.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

when a USB harddrive is plugged for example, windows make a sound and display an icon. this must be the same when the fireface is connected...

No, not necessarily - this is not a USB drive, and W7 doesn't know what to do with it...
Have a look at the device manager.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I own a FF800 for 3 years so I really know that there is a Firewire port on it...my message was just an example... I checked all the possibilities.The problem is that the Fireface is not detected by windows 7. I just try to find a solution to make it recognizied.

Quoting Jeff here...

"Do you see anything listed under "Other Devices" with a yellow mark? Usually, before the driver is installed, the RME device shows up as "Unknown Device" or "Multimedia Audio Controller"."

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

unfortunatly I see nothing

I  precise the installation procedure : I installed a new firewire pci card. I checked  the right installation of it. then i connected the FF800 on the new firewire 400 port. I switched the FF800 on and the I checked "other devices" AND "multimedia audio controller" in order to see a new peripheral with or without a yellow mark. finally I can't see anything.

Ok, can you test another FW cable? Or try the FF with another computer?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

It would be interesting to know which driver your PCI FW card uses. Did you install a specific one or use the one included in W7?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I've checked to install a motu ultralite on the firewire 400 port. This gear has really been detected by Windows. The same was done with the fireface and nothing happens. From this it mat be deduced that the firewire pci card (with Texas instruments chipset) works good.It seems to have a conflict beetween th? fireface and another device. I 've also tested a brand new FF cable without any result. The driver used for the firewire card is the Windows one.

Are you absolutely sure the Firewire port uses a TI chipset and not an older revision LSI/Agere one? What happens if you daisy-chain the FF to the Motu (Motu first, FF second)?

I bought the firewire car yesterday and checked the inscription on chip. This is a really texax instruments chipset for sure...How can I daisy-chain the FF and the motu with FF 400?

The Motu should have two FW ports. You connect the Motu to the computer on one port and the FF to the Motu on the other port.

Unfortunatly the motu have only one fw port.

Hm, I once connected my FF400 to a Motu Ultralite. So obviously Motu has changed something along the way.

You could try any FW hub or harddrive. But the fact that it works on the OS X side makes this a strange case anyway.

Please activate the option to show hidden devices in Device-Manager, let it search for new hardware (right-click anywhere to get a menu with that function) and post a screenshot of your Audio-/Video- & Gamecontroller section.

I think I have checked all the combinations and all the possibilities windows can allow. I already done your procedure without any success. Device manager doesn't find any peripheral.

Can you test the FF with another computer?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Well then either your FF800 is faulty or your setup. Find another computer to test it on, ask a professional to check your setup or send the FF in.

I think the RME team support will hold my sweet FF in their hands soon...I've checked it on another computer without any result. It seems dead.