Topic: FIrefiwre expresscard for laptop. RME recommendation?

Hallo to everyone,
I'm currently working on a desktop computer but I'd like to swtich to my laptop because I am tired to bring the whole desktop with me when I gig.
So I need to buy an express card, because my laptop Firewire chipset seems to suck quite a bit. Does RME reccomend any particular brand/model?
The laptop is a dell studio xps 13, with win7 x64 ultimate, and an intel 2.66 cd2.
Many thanks in advance.

c.

Re: FIrefiwre expresscard for laptop. RME recommendation?

Dawicontrol, SIIG, LaCie, all usually work well...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Many thanks!

chickenrun wrote:

Hallo to everyone,
I'm currently working on a desktop computer but I'd like to swtich to my laptop because I am tired to bring the whole desktop with me when I gig.
So I need to buy an express card, because my laptop Firewire chipset seems to suck quite a bit. Does RME reccomend any particular brand/model?
The laptop is a dell studio xps 13, with win7 x64 ultimate, and an intel 2.66 cd2.
Many thanks in advance.

c.

Chances are the same crappy ricoh chipset that controls your firewire controls your expresscard slot and you won't be any further ahead by buying the card.  At least that was my experience with my Studio XPS 16.

You might want to save your money and keep using your desktop.

The LaCie FW800 card uses a Texas Instrument based chipset.

So, given the absurd moment of firewire anarchy in the pc laptops scenario, how is a solution with an external firewire considered ?

I mean: does a working external firewire perform potentially worst than a working internal one ?
I know this question contains so many variables that could bring us to more questions than answers, but I think you can make the sense of my question.

Thank you gurus, your advices are so precious to help us to narrow the risk of spoiling some good money on the wrong choice.

Luca