Topic: How to turn off, then turn on TotalMix

Hi,

TotalMix loads automatically when I boot. But when I want to use DigiCheck, I'll need to shut it down - How do I do that? And, when I'm finished with DC, how do I re-start TM without re-booting.

Thanks.

Re: How to turn off, then turn on TotalMix

There is no need to shut down TM to use DC...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

.... except with the usual caveat about accuracy of level readings when both are active?

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Only if you are using the hardware level metering in DC.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Which applications in DC do not use the hardware meter information?

But to pick up a neglected note in the original post, why do you think you need to re-boot to restart TM?  Its icon is usually there in the System Tray, and I can close TM and open DC, or close DC and return to TM with two mouse clicks in each case.

(Unless you are talking Mac, in which case I don't know ... )

panatrope wrote:

All - if you set them to ASIO.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by Timur 2010-09-10 13:58:51)

I think the question is: Does the TM process/trayicon have to be killed in order to get reliable hardware meter reading in DC or is it sufficient to just close the TM mixer window (and leave the trayicon running)?

If you want to restart TM you can do it by simply starting the corresponding EXE file from the \Windows\System32 directory (just create a shortcut or something). Same applies for the HSDPE/FF/whatever Settings by the way.

MC wrote:
panatrope wrote:

So there is no problem using DC and TM parallel when DC is running in ASIO mode like in Global record function?

Yawn..isn't that exactly what we communicate since years and is also part of the online help in DC?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Timur wrote:

I think the question is: Does the TM process/trayicon have to be killed in order to get reliable hardware meter reading in DC or is it sufficient to just close the TM mixer window (and leave the trayicon running)?

Close the window, that's all.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks, I guess this answers SBax' question nicely. wink

12 (edited by SBax 2010-09-10 18:59:27)

Thanks guys. I think I understand. PC user with the FF800 here. Last time I shut down the TM because of the supposed conflict in which I admit I didn't research very well, the icon disappeared so I had to re-boot and never tried it again. Thanks Timur for showing me the path. Thanks panatrope.

BTW, I do use ASIO. Bottom line is I have no problem in the first place since I always minimize the TM window anyway - Thanks MC.

MC wrote:

Yawn..isn't that exactly what we communicate since years and is also part of the online help in DC?

My system is not connected to the internet.

That said, I love my FF800. It's centerpiece of my music room. It's used to route surround SACD or DVD-A, vinyl lps, CDs, multitrack recording, etc. I also really like Digi-Check and the fact it doesn't use a FFT algorithm (very cool and should be advertised more). I can see vinyl lp frequency responses sometimes at 25-30 kHz. I like to have the DigiCheck running all the time while music is playing. Yeah, there's a eye candy aspect to it but, technically it is top notch imo.

SBax wrote:

My system is not connected to the internet.

Online means it's part of the software, not a separate manual or so. Just hit F1 to get the online help. No need for an internet connection.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

14 (edited by panatrope 2010-09-10 23:42:44)

MC wrote:
panatrope wrote:

MC, I find the preceding response confusing.  The following is an extract from the on-line help for DC5.30:

Important note on operation of TotalMix

Receiving the level values from the hardware currently is not possible with more than one program at a time. TotalMix uses the hardware level values for its level meters. When TotalMix and DIGICheck are simultaneously showing levels of the same system (card), then wrong levels are shown in both programs. For a correct and valid level display close the TotalMix window, so that it is shown as symbol in the systray only.

This was the error I referred to in my first post on this thread.   I see nothing in the online help that says this does not occur in ASIO.

panatrope wrote:
MC wrote:
panatrope wrote:

MC, I find the preceding response confusing.  The following is an extract from the on-line help for DC5.30:

Important note on operation of TotalMix

Receiving the level values from the hardware currently is not possible with more than one program at a time. TotalMix uses the hardware level values for its level meters. When TotalMix and DIGICheck are simultaneously showing levels of the same system (card), then wrong levels are shown in both programs. For a correct and valid level display close the TotalMix window, so that it is shown as symbol in the systray only.

This was the error I referred to in my first post on this thread.   I see nothing in the online help that says this does not occur in ASIO.

Yep, that was also the paragraph I was refering to when I started a thread about this topic over a week ago, with no response. It seems this text is a little bit misleading or we both don't get it. :-)

Hi,

from FF800 3.0 pdf manual page 28

"ASIO-Multiclient
RME audio interfaces support ASIO multi-client operation. It is possible to use more than one ASIO software at the same time. Again the sample rate has to be identical, and each software has to use its own playback channels. Again the inputs can be used simultaneously.
RME's sophisticated tool DIGICheck is an exception to this rule. It operates like an ASIO host, using a special technique to access playback channels already occupied. Therefore DIGICheck is able to analyse and display playback data from any software, no matter which format the software uses."

regards S-EH

No need to discuss this - I can see where the information is unclear in the online help and will change that.

Also funny that the term 'online' help, which everybody in my age knows as F1 'local' help, these days got a new and different meaning. Seems I have to change that in the included help too (anybody knows how to name the former 'online' help now?).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Wikipedia article on "Online help" wrote:

Microsoft products such as Microsoft Visual Studio now refer to locally installed help as Offline help or Local help, while help installed on their web server is referred to as Online help. However the general term Online help has always referred to the electronic documentation associated with an application (local or web based).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_help

I don't like Offline help, Local help seems ok.

I thought "Local" was not bad, too...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME