Topic: HDSP Express card and Multiface I in a HP Pavilion dv8 Win7-64bit

I do have a problem here with a HP Pavilion dv8, Intel i7 Quadcore,
Multiface I
I dont get the hammerfall expresscard card recognized regardless whether I attach it before or after boot.
I'm quite desperate because I can't work for weeks now.
I have flashed the unit with the latest firmware.
I can't get the drivers installed because the card is not recognized.
I updated the bios and disabled the power-management option in the bios, as proposed in other posts around here.
I don't really know what causes the problem.
Can there be a problem with the windows 7 64-bit?
Is it likely to work on xp on the same machine?
I inserted the card into a friends vaio laptop with vista (i think 32 bit) result: Card recognized immediately, drivers installed - everything working properly.
Never had problems with my multiface and the pcmcia-card on my prior system (HP + WinXP 32bit)!
finally: I have a wide express-card slot, so the expresscard sticks in only one section of the slot.
This is very inconvenient by the way. RME could produce some sort of adapter so something to avoid the card to move in the slot...

Does anybody have any idea what I could do?

thanks in advance
regards,
Fynn

Re: HDSP Express card and Multiface I in a HP Pavilion dv8 Win7-64bit

One thing to add:
When I plug in the card with the OS up the system oftentimes hangs up - without producing a blue screen.
Sometimes this happens when the card is plugged in, sometimes this happens when the card is pulled out, after realizing that again the card hasn't been recognized...
The host error lamp consistently shines, disappeares when I plug the multiface in the old (HP-WinXP System with the PCMCIA Card)...

Have you tested the card with another laptop?

fynn wrote:

finally: I have a wide express-card slot, so the expresscard sticks in only one section of the slot.
This is very inconvenient by the way. RME could produce some sort of adapter so something to avoid the card to move in the slot...

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3224
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3593

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

4 (edited by fynn 2010-09-09 00:23:37)

Dear Mr. Fuchs,

yes as I wrote in my description:

fynn wrote:

I inserted the card into a friend's vaio laptop with vista (i think 32 bit), result: Card recognized immediately, drivers installed - everything working properly.
Never had problems with my multiface and the pcmcia-card on my prior system (HP + WinXP 32bit)!

Thank you for your answer regarding the slot-mechanism problem. I will invest in one of these adapters AS SOON AS I GET MY CARD RECOGNIZED! DeadHorse
Sorry for shouting, but I get a bit under pressure here.

Any answer to the core of my problem?
Might there be a not yet recognized problem with win7 64bit?
I tried to disable the power management of the slot - no change.
I tried to disable other audio components - no change.

I have to mention that the card was recognized initially when I got it delivered, with the original firmware on, I don't know which Version it shipped with, but the computer crashed and went to a bluescreen upon inserting the card or in the course of working giving the hdsp-driver as a reason on a regular basis. Then HP published a bios update that included a powermanagement toggle option, similar to what was provided by lenovo.
Because I was having trouble getting everything to work I applied the bios update, I updated the firmware on the card about 3 months ago (done this a second time just yesterday with the computer of a friend mentioned in the quote - just to make sure I do have the latest firmware.) And yes, I powered the computer off completely after the firmware update.
So I'm not calling on you without trying everything I could think of... auf gut deutsch: Ich bin mit meinem Latein am Ende...

kind regards,
Stefan Wessel

Could anyone at RME kindly give an answer to my question please?
thanks a lot,
Stefan Wessel

Wenn Sie sich sicher sind dass die Karte nicht irgendwo im Ger?te-Manager als deaktiviert herumgeistert gibt es nicht mehr viel zu tun: Windows neu installieren und mit nacktem System schauen ob sie erkannt wird. Und/oder andere Karte beim H?ndler ausprobieren.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME