1 (edited by trevoragus 2010-09-13 15:11:31)

Topic: Truncation clicks under Windows 7 with Fireface 800

Has anyone else had problems with sounds clicking under Windows 7? It seems that the sound is truncated by around 20 ms (it varies seemingly randomly, but never more than about 40 ms). Depending on the sound, this generates an audible click.

I'm using the 'sound' function on Matlab under Windows 7, with Fireface 800. I've update to the latest drivers (3.020), and also updated the firmware.

Let me know if you've also had this problem or, ideally, how to fix it. Thanks.

Re: Truncation clicks under Windows 7 with Fireface 800

I don't have this problem with the same programs and soundcard under Windows 98, which is making me think it might be a problem with the Windows 7 drivers.

There is no Win98 driver for the FF800, so what exactly are you referring to?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Sorry, the computer is set to look like Win 98, but it's actually Windows XP that is working fine with the FF800. Thanks.

Not a known issue anyhow... Have you teste other (ASIO) software?

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

6 (edited by trevoragus 2010-09-16 18:00:28)

Thanks for the reply Daniel. I realised that Matlab's default mode is DirectSound, so I've switched to ASIO (using pa_wavplay).

Unfortunately, the truncation problem remains, but a much shorter section of the end of the sound gets truncated with ASIO. In fact, nothing is truncated if the sound has a multiple of 256 samples. Otherwise, the sound is truncated to be a multiple of 256 samples, losing up to 255 samples at the end.

That sounds like it might be presenting all the full buffers, omitting the last partially filled buffer. Is that normal?

I've struggled to find something non-Matlab to use that definitely uses ASIO. PortAudio has a demo (http://www.portaudio.com/download.html) that plays sine waves. It ends with a loud click, but I can't be sure that's part of the same problem, because I'm not sure whether the sine waves are set up to fade out nicely in the first place. Does anyone else have a suggestion for Win7-friendly ASIO programs?

Also, is ASIO recommended for Win 7/Fireface800? Matlab can be made to work with ASIO, but using its built-in sound functions (sound, wavplay, audioplayer) seems preferable for our purposes, and I think they're always DirectSound.

Is the sample rate changing on playback?  What sample rate does FF800 say it's running at when siting "Idle" - and then what does it say when playing tracks off Matlab?

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

You can download a demo of Ableton Live that comes with a demo set for playback and can create test sinusoid via its Preferences.

http://www.ableton.com/downloads