Topic: windows 7 drivers wont load for new fireface 800 help please.

Hi, I've just bought a fireface 800 and the drivers wont install on win 7.
the 800 is brand new and working fine on my xp laptop (drivers loaded from supplied disc)
but when trying to load drivers for it on my new win 7 (acer i7) it returns an error report saying that it has found the drivers, but is unable to load them. followed by please contact the manufacturer etc.

I had the same result with the drivers from the rme website and the comp wasnt seaching for the drivers, i pointed it straight to the folder with the new drivers from the rme website.

Have I got something set wrong or is there a problem with win 7 that i need to sort first??
cheers
Baz

Re: windows 7 drivers wont load for new fireface 800 help please.

Did you get the drivers from the RME website for Windows 7? Those on the CD may be quite outdated.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

hi Jeff, yes the drivers I tried seconed time were the drivers from the rme site. the latest for the 800.

Please tell us the exact steps you are using to try the install.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

ok, device man, sounds etc, fireface 800. properties (double click)
drivers= no drivers loaded for this device. 
driver update... find drivers browse to folder containing new drivers.  update
win 7 then thinks about it for 10 mins then returns above error'

Try this: Right click on the FF in Device Manager, and select "Update Drivers", then choose "Let me pick from a list". If asked for Device Type, choose Sound Video & Game controllers.

On the next page, don't use the list, click the "Have Disk" button at the bottom, then browse to the unzipped folder and select the INF file inside. Install should complete normally from here.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

hi Jeff,
will give that a go and report back
cheers
baz

Hi, it's just going round in circles. at the ...have disc.. it shows locate files, look in folder marked dreivers (where i put the files) it shows the fireface.inf file and in file name it shows *.inf.  clicking on the file fireface.inf sends it back to have disc. typing in the name of the file and hitting open does the same.  it just refuses to open or even go to the file.   ( it did the same when i opened the folder and clicked on the fireface.exe earlier)

would win 7 ignore a file if it didnt like this digital signiture thing?

After selecting the INF and clicking Open, then when you get back to the previous page, click OK (the proper path is now shown), then on the main window click Next.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Sorry I forgot to add that last bit to my last post. If i then do as you describe it just does as in the original post.
It can find the file, but just woint load it.
cheers
Baz

I have now noticed that windows is hanging when trying to shut down. could something in the attempts to load the drivers have upset win 7?

cheers
baz

Problem solved, here's the details.

If you have win 7 64 bit the fireface needs the latest firmware update installed on it before win 7 64 can load the drivers.  I plugged the ff800 into my laptop running xp and updated the firmware, then plugged  into win 7 desktop and updated driver.  sorted.

Many thanks to Chris at Digital village (Birmingham) for the info to solve the problem.
And many thanks to Jeff for taking the time to help and decipher my incomprehensible posts.
cheers
Baz