Topic: BabyFace + 5.1 monitoring through ADAT OK?

I was wondering, what if one used BabyFace for 5.1 surround monitoring through ADAT to some multi-channel D/A converter?

What would the latencies be? Irrelevantly low or could they be problematic?

Thanks

Re: BabyFace + 5.1 monitoring through ADAT OK?

I do that all times and have no latency problem. If so you must use a better DVD software which allows to adjust pic to sound delay to get lip-sync behaviour.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by -Fluky- 2010-09-18 15:09:26)

Okay, so ADAT introduces some latency compared to discrete I/O on the interface itself, as some syncing is needed?

So I guess a FireFace UC or 400 would be better than a BabyFace and external I/O via ADAT?

I was wondering, what if one used BabyFace for 5.1 surround monitoring through ADAT to some multi-channel D/A converter?

"Through ADAT"? You want just stream 5.1 surround signals through ADAT from an external hardware device or just play it from the software player inside your computer?

Okay, so ADAT introduces some latency compared to discrete I/O on the interface itself, as some syncing is needed?

No. ADAT introduces no latency. It?s just another digital I/O format.

So I guess a FireFace UC or 400 would be better than a BabyFace and external I/O via ADAT?

No. The only difference:  The Babyface provides four DA channels, the UC/400 eight DA channels. The UC/400 can also work as stand-alone eight channel ADAT > DA converter for external ADAT signals.

best regards
Knut

Admin Knut wrote:

"Through ADAT"? You want just stream 5.1 surround signals through ADAT from an external hardware device or just play it from the software player inside your computer?

Yes just have playback through ADAT because the BabyFace hasn't got 6 analog outputs. I've never used ADAT like this so I was just wondering the latency. There is varying information about it in the web and some say that ADAT latency could depend on some chipsets or hardware design the manufacturer uses.

Where does the ADAT signal come from? I don?t understand why you want to stream an ADAT signal through the Babyface, instead of just connect it to your ADAT DA converter, but there is no latency in the digital domain. The signal just goes through the ADAT In to the Out and the hardware mixer of the Babyface in between (TotalMix).

best regards
Knut

Computer ---USB--> BabyFace ---ADAT out--> DA-converter --analog outs--> speakers i.e. monitoring "through" ADAT. Sorry if my previous explanation was unclear.

There is no more latency in this signal chain, than in a direct conversion with the DA converters of the Babyface.

Maybe a weak point in this combination is the quality of the external DA conversion, as the Babyface uses the same technology like RME?s high-end M-Series converters. Keep in mind, with 5.1 signals in 96 kHz only 4 ADAT channels remain (SMUX).

best regards
Knut