Topic: USB to Expresscard

I have a Fireface 400 and I?m worried about the posibility that Apple doesn?t work with Firewire in the near future. I have seen this and I wonder if it will work with FF400:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/18/siig … d-adapter/

Thank you very much.

Re: USB to Expresscard

Such devices get mixed reviews.  It's cheap enough, why not get one and try?
But generally, I'd recommend getting a FireWire card that directly fits whatever expansion slot your computer DOES have.

No technology persists for ever (any offers for my very expensive Pinnacle sound card, ISA slot required?)   Eventually something will come along that makes your present computer and FF400 look pretty sad, and you'll buy it.   OR, because it does everything you need, you'll keep your present system running for may more years.  Your choice.

Well, I have my FF400 only a few days ago, and I don?t want to have to buy another audio interface as soon as in a pair of years if I have to change my laptop. If LightPeak is compatible with Firewire (and Apple uses LightPeak) I?ll not have problems. But if it?s not so, I would like to know if an interface like that of my first post will work with FF400.

Thank you very much and best regards.

4 (edited by Laurence Payne 2010-09-19 18:35:02)

Really, if you're going to change your computer in two years, worry about it in two years!  What you can buy NOW isn't terribly relevant.

If you're REALLY paranoid, and have only just bought the FF400, perhaps you can swap it for the USB version.   I rather doubt USB will go away.  Though you can never tell with Apple, they do like to TELL you what you can use, in two years it might be impossible to plug anything into a Mac that doesn't start with "i".   But, as they say, other platforms are available.

MBM wrote:

I have a Fireface 400 and I?m worried about the posibility that Apple doesn?t work with Firewire in the near future. I have seen this and I wonder if it will work with FF400:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/18/siig … d-adapter/

Thank you very much.

I don't understand the question. This adapter does not have FireWire, so why should it work with a Fireface 400?

And the text on that page already clearly states that it will not work with our HDSPe cards either.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Oh, I?m sorry, I mean that with that maybe I can buy a expresscard with Firewire and use it with Fireface 400. I don?t know if that?s possible.

Thanks and best regards.

No it is not, as such ExpressCard would use the PCI/PCIe bus, and that is not available via this adapter.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, thank you very much.

Best regards.