Topic: digicheck 5.30 not letting me change or open the setting dialogue

Hi RME,
I'm not able to change the settings on digicheck. I can change the surround scope but no other windows will let me open the settings window. I have the surround scope with ITU, the 2 channel level meter, and 3 frequency meters open. I can't even open the setting window with the 2 channel window open by it's self if I open the surround scope first. Thanks for the help.
Brandon

2 (edited by valis 2010-09-16 13:54:00)

Re: digicheck 5.30 not letting me change or open the setting dialogue

5.30 actually doesn't even let me close the window from it's own UI on Win7, nor move the window or touch anything.  If I click and try to do what I want and then give another window focus Digicheck will 'snap' to a new position usually near what I wanted but trying to trigger buttons like this is odd...is it not getting the focus release having input lag or something?

Win-7 64bit, RME Multiface 1 with HDSP (non-e), 16GB ram, 2x E5430 Xeons on the latest 3.08.5 drivers for my HDSP/Multiface...happens at 1.5 to 6ms but improves by 23ms to be 'liveable'...

Actually I've now tried the last several versions I have (back to 5.23) and they're all exhibiting this behaviour.  So I removed anything I could find in the ProgramData/AppData folders that matched "digicheck" as a (non-case sensitive) search string before reinstalling 5.30 and that resulted in it simply having a rediculously laggy UI, with a 1-2 second delay on moving the window.  But there's not much in those folders so I gave deleting the preferences (HKEY_USERS\%UID%\Software\RME) a shot as well, still no improvement.

Upping the latency to 23ms improves things considerably so I started to suspect Aero/graphics lag with my evga/nvidia GTX285 & drivers as the culprit for the input lag (audio performance in the background seems unaffected.)  Playing with it a bit more reveals that having several apps onscreen and trying to use Digicheck is lagging Aero.  So something must have changed in the 260.xx nvidia drivers for me, or with the 3.08.5 drivers for the HDSP Multiface.   Think I'm going to report these results at Guru3d once I've tried a few nvidia & rme drivers to make sure it is the nvidia driver specifically.  They've been trying to fix DPC latency issues for the 465/460 and other GTX4xx/Fermi cards and while my DPC calls are perfectly fine (no spikes) Aero doesn't seem to be happy atm.  Again this is a 2008 era Dual Xeon 2.66Ghz with 16GB ram

Ok after playing around with this a bit, Digicheck is not the source nor are the rme drivers, though going back about a year did change things a bit (safety buffers in the drivers were adjusted perhaps?)  Adjusting Digicheck's update rate helps a tiny bit, but I think this is related to Win7/Vista Aero & having an older app open alongside your DAW/audio app and digicheck.  I can actually get even foobar2000's asio/mme output (direct to RME driver output so it uses the latency setting) to generate this effect just as easily as a DAW app, which means all 8 of my cores are essentially idle.

So using any nvidia 259.xx & 260.xx driver (which I was doing for reasons related to video editing software) I have an issue when there is both 1. a low latency audio app (or two) open with under 3ms latency and 2. an application open that makes legacy UI calls and takes the legacy (cpu) compositing path/buffer under Aero before being composited on the gpu with the 'current' software.  Closing that 'older' software immediately results in a return to responsiveness for the UI, as of course does disabling Aero entirely thus forcing the entire desktop into the legacy compositing path/mode (ie, on cpu.)   Personally I prefer not to do that, but I can report that this seems to have nothing to do with RME's software, at least for me...

You could try to fix the GPU's clock-speed to a 3D mode to see if it helps the mixed UI calls mess. Try PowerMizer Manager, which allows to switch without doing a reboot: http://somemorebytes.com/wp/index.php/s … pmmanager/

If one of the apps qualifies as 3D (as in: uses hardware acceleration, like FF4 and IE9 do for example) you can also use the new "Power Management Mode" setting of the NVidia driver. Unfortunately it does not (seem to) work with pure 2D apps (as in: not hardware accelerated) and always uses full Performance 3D (which usually you only need for real 3D/gaming stuff).

Hi Timur, same Valis from GS here =]

When using multiple desktops my GTX285 actually never comes out of low-power 3d mode (I have to switch to single desktop to get 2d low power mode active).  But I will look into that app...I think the issue is just a bug in the software compositing path I hadn't noticed in the most recent 256-260 nvidia trunk.  260.xx and on up represent a large change from them, I've reported the issue and hopefully they'll have a fix.  They did seem to fix the DPC issues people were having (especially with 465/460's, it just takes them a bit.)