Topic: Latency - Am i getting the best out of my RME Fireface 800 ?

Hiya,

I have a fireface 800, i recently purchased a new PC for recording music and the shop set it all up for me, but im not sure if i am getting the best out of my gear.

I am using Sonar 8 Producer Edition as my DAW and my computer is an I7 with windows XP I am using ASIO drivers.

I have read that the FF 800 is cable of 1msec of latency ? I cant achieve this, so would be greatful for any help on getting this set up a bit better.

At the moment my settings are Sample Rate 96000 Latency Input 1.0msec 93 samples, out put 2.2 msec 208 samples, total round trip 3.1 msec 301 Samples.    I have tried the sample rate at 44100 and the latency goes upto 6.8 msec.

Playback buffer size 48, Record buffer size 48

To be honest i dont understand all these samples and numbers etc, im a guitarist getting into recording, so would appreciate any help, in getting the best from my gear.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Kind Regards

LP1982

Re: Latency - Am i getting the best out of my RME Fireface 800 ?

you wont get 1ms,    aim for 5-6 is good,   depending on the project size it may work well or you have to raise it but thats what I get maybe even set it 7-ish
if you want to record , say guitar and monitor it through your daw*, 5ms should be ok,  - make sure the fireface mixer input of that ch is at 0 otherwise you will get delay/phasing..    Use this option if you want to hear your instrument with fx while recording,   or if you recording vst's.
However what you maybe saying at 1ms/ zero latency is just the typical way of hearing your input without monitoring through the DAw,   - this should be used more so I think as there is no latency and you then put fx on the track after

1ms is getting a bit hopeful :-)  I suggest you set a comfortable 256 or even 512 samples figure and see if latency becomes a practical problem.  Ultra-low latency isn't nesessarily "best".  In many situations a full second's latency would go unnoticed (how do you think we managed to do multitrack recording before ASIO drivers? :-)

Mine is 5.3 with 256 samples at 96. I don't know if there are better settings/samples/bit rate that produce a lower latency.