Topic: RPM, no audio out of 1/2 or 3/4, only headphone outs work

Hello,
I just hooked my RPM to a new PCIe card in a Mac Pro.
2x2.8 Quad Core Xeon
OS 10.5.8
18gig RAM
RME Driver v2.67
RPM (Slot-2) Serial # 22901840 Rev18 (just upgraded today)

I have been using this unit until now with an Express card and MacBook Pro almost exclusively on headphones in a vinyl ripping station. It's now being used in a video editing suite driving some nearfield Event monitors and as a rudimentary mic pre for scratch VO recording.
Set to 48Khz or 44.1Khz I can't get any signal out of 1/2 or 3/4 (AN1 AN2 AN3 AN4 in matrix) There is signal there bouncing on all outs and the headphones have signal but nothing is reaching the speakers. I've switched cables around and the speakers work as they were being driven by the onboard Mac audio before with no problem.

The RPM was a open box used unit from Synthax 2 years ago. I was wondering if it's possible that it's been modified or tweaked (are there any internal switches?) It's also possible that the outs have never worked as I have only used it in headphone mode for the last year and a half.

If it's faulty where do/can I send it back to get it fixed? I know that Synthax is no longer the Canadian distributor. Too bad 'cause Jeff was awesome to deal with.

Andrew
Toronto

Re: RPM, no audio out of 1/2 or 3/4, only headphone outs work

Toggle the Bypass switch in the Settings dialog. Or change to driver 2.75.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

That worked, sort of. I only get audio when the bypass box remains checked.
Is it my misunderstanding that I can only get audio out the AN1-4 outs when bypass box is checked? With it checked I can control everything using TotalMix. Will the inputs work like that? I have a Mic coming tomorrow to test that. I've had a MF1 since 2002 and this RPM since 2008 and this behavior seems contradictory to me or, more likely, I am missing something in my understanding.
Thanks MC

ak

On the older driver, the behavior of this switch was accidentally reversed. Just leave Bypass engaged and it should work as expected.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Weird. But weird is better than a repair. Weird is free.
Thanks

Rereading this thread, I just noticed the other half of your advice about the driver version. I don't know how I downloaded the older driver as I installed everything fresh yesterday, but I just grabbed v2.75 and now the bypass button works as expected. Everything works and the first temp VO gets recorded in an hour.
Thanks again

ak

One more thing, DIGICheck?
That's bloody well AWESOME! I can see how having the record function in Mac would be nice but right now this is enough. Like walking out into the light.