1 (edited by bigl28 2010-09-25 18:34:59)

Topic: Mutiple Talk back/Listen back tracks? FF800

Hows it going?
I own the Fireface 800. It is the pride and joy of my setup. The mic preamps and the clarity alone on this box were well worth the investment. My technical knowledge is still somewhat lacking. I know there is no excuse not to try to figure out any issues I am having but as for now it does exactly what I need it to do. I have looked through the manual when I have come to an issue and always try to find the steps to correcting them.

The problem I am having is probably straight forward and simple. The Talkback and Listen back feature. I have my monitor headphones plugged into the Ch9/10 front output. My studio monitors are connected via 1/2 rear outs. When I try to get my control room mic to play through the monitor headphones it only comes out of my studio monitors. This is the mic that I attempt to talk to clients who are in the booth and working through the in booth mic. I have the control room mic linked via channel 8 front input. I have this mic set to Listenback feature because I had no other option (which causes another problem ill get to shortly). This is somewhat frustrating to have minimal communication between the artist and myself.

My in booth microphone, used for all vocal tracking, is connected via channel 7. It is set to Talkback, as this is the only way I could get the instrumentation and vocals to play through the monitor headphones at the same time. Upon referencing the manual this seems all backwards. I thought the talkback feature was supposed to be used from the control room and listenback for the in booth microphone?

In any case, as is, the setup works for what I am doing now. I am concerned, however, as to what happens when I expand my studios capabilities beyond just vocal tracking. I am curious as to how you have multiple line ins, say vocal mics or instrument mics, and are capable of monitoring them at the same time. The RME software only allows for one input each to be selected for talkback/listenback. I am sorry if this is a simple subject or if my explanation is not very good. I upgraded from a small plug and play interface to a real serious piece of equipment. I knew that from the start, upon my first listen. I just want to get better knowledge of how to use this box to its full potential.

Any help is greatly appreciated. If anyone could point me in the direction of any information on the FF800 outside of the manual that would be awesome (threads, vids, noob explanations). Ill take anything I can get.

I run Cubase Studio 5 on PC by the way

Thanks for any time you invest on my topic
Peace
D. Lee

Re: Mutiple Talk back/Listen back tracks? FF800

bigl28 wrote:

When I try to get my control room mic to play through the monitor headphones it only comes out of my studio monitors.

I have this mic set to Listenback feature

I stopped reading here. The error seems to be more than obvious...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME