Topic: FF400 and skipping audio in windows vista

I just got my Fireface 400 in the mail today, and I was pretty let down by the fact that the audio dropped back on playback of a song in windows media player with nothing else going on on my laptop. I've done some messing around with buffer sizes and my hard disk chace size and stuff like that, but nothing seems to do the trick.

I tried out the DPC Latency Checker and while at first I was in the low green territory I started getting some yellow and then suddenly some red peaks. I've tried this DPC Latency Checker before I got the FF400 and had never even seen yellow before. Now I'm getting red peaks without even doing anything but the DPC Latency Checker running.

After messing with buffer sizes and what not nothing seemed to change. I then changed the FF400's settings to 48khz (as that's how I normally listen to audio so guessed that maybe WMP had those settings left over somehow). I tried messing with buffer settings again and that still didn't do the trick. I tried opening youtube up to see if I could get anything from that. The video played fine, but there was no audio. I tried restarting my computer, and now audio simply doesn't play anymore. WMP won't even start a song that I've clicked.

I'm looking very much forward to using this device.

Thank you,
Steven

Re: FF400 and skipping audio in windows vista

Hello,

check out my problem which is gfx related and post your Motherboard, GfxCard and Firewire Hardware specs:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 393#p44393

Cheers

I have a Toshiba Satellite U405D
AMD Turion X2 Dual-core mobile RM-70 2.00GHZ
3GB Ram
32 bit vista
ATI Radeon 3100 graphics card

4 (edited by tronics 2010-09-26 22:07:23)

Ok, I see that is a completely different system.

I also had a Toshiba Notebook once that profited a lot by a Lacie Firewire Card.
With Firewire the controller is always most important.

You can order one online and send it back in case it doesn't resolve the issue.

Cheers

I actually just ordered an express card: SONNET(????)  Tango FireWire 400 & USB2.0... there weren't many choices on Japanese websites so that's what I am going to have for now. If that doesn't work out, I can try getting anotherone some how.

6 (edited by tronics 2010-09-26 22:06:37)

You should look for a chip from Texas Instruments. Note: the Firewire Chip not the card manufacturer.
That is why I picked Lacie they use TI almost in every Firewire controller they have.
Most other have subpar performance although they may work at buffers suitable.

Are you from Japan or located there at the moment?

I looked up the card again today and it supposedly has a TI chip so it should cure the problem if an express card is indeed the cure for the situation.

I have another question... is there a reason I'm getting errors from windows *sometimes* saying that 24 bit audio is not supported by this device? When it doesn't say that, audio doesn't work.... when it does say that, it just seems odd because the FF400 is supposed to have 24 bit audio.

I got a Sonnet Firewire/USB expresscard (expresscard 34) and I'm able to get play back in WMP.

It sounds great at 16/48... better than my other device at 24/48. I'm curious as to how it will sound at 24 bits. For some reason I'm unable to get playback at 24 bits. I get the 'a device has been disconnected' spiel when I set it to 24 and try to play something in WMP. Is there a way to solve this?

Thanks!

I'm gonna be testing some recording out next and I'm hoping that goes smoothly.