Topic: Difference UC / Babyface in regards to software/converters/etc.

Dear every RME-user. An upcoming user here, I just need to know whether to settle with Babyface or UC.

I do film music primarily w/ EastWestSamples, and thus I need one of these extremely-low-latency-interfaces.

I rarely (if ever) record live audio. I do all with samples. Is the IO's the only reason to choose UC over Babyface?

are the converters, the latency, everything the same?

I don't care with the built-in-effects in Babyface.

If one of You can name a reason why a serious film/media composer MUST have the UC over the BC please let me know smile

thanks Mathias

Re: Difference UC / Babyface in regards to software/converters/etc.

The Babyface provides different converters than the UC, but it needs a really trained ears and a high-end monitoring equipement, to recognize an audible difference. RME philosophy is to capture a signal as it is - not add or remove anything. Both devices are customized for this application and provide the same RME USB Pro Audio Core with the same latency. Both interfaces include SteadyClock and the DIGICheck metering and analysis toolbox.

The Babyface provides two high-end analog recording channels and four DA converters (used also in RME?s high-end M Series). The Babyface is customized for mobile and desktop usage and works as a monitoring control with EQ and Reverb/Echo. For serious studio work with more and flexible I/Os (2 x digital, more analog studio levels), word clock and two MIDI I/Os, the UC is still the better choice. We get very good feedback for the UC in reviews and from customers, so we can say it?s an approved and working solution.

best regards
Knut

Synchronizing? You might need Word Clock input.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It's simple: If converters are your most important concern, buy something that comes with the converters you want. If I/Os are your concern, buy something that fits your needs.

Here it means: If the Babyface offers enough I/Os for your applications then you get a package with better converters, if you need more I/Os then all the converter specs in the world won't help you plugin another cable, get the UC.

So the babyface has M Series premium converters and UC has non-premium converters?

So the babyface has M Series premium converters and UC has non-premium converters?

Both have premium converters.

best regards
Knut

Frankly, if you don't know how to compare and interpret the specs of the converters then don't worry about it. Just buy the interface that brings the I/Os you need!

And keep in mind that the UC needs external power, while the BF can be bus-powered.