Topic: Grounding on RCA/XLR breakout cables for HDSP 9632.

Hi, I have a PC rigged up as a music server, its basically empty except for one HDD, the PS and of course a RME HDSP 9632. I want to make up set of RCA and XLR analogue output breakouts for it using good quality connectors and cables and have a few questions :

1) XLR cable
According to the pin assignment tables the XLR cable has pin 9 on the D-type connector as the unique ground. Does this mean that the shielding of both L and R XLR cables should be connected to this pin ? Is there any connection to be made between the cable shielding and the metal hood of the D-type connector ?

2) RCA cable
The pin assignment table for the RCA cable has pins 9, 1, 11 on the D-type connector as grounds. Can the L and R RCA cable shielding be connected to any of these ground pins or is there a recommended grounding configuration. Likewise is there any connection to be made between the ground of the cable shields and the metal hood of the D-type connector.

3) Ground isolation in general
Is there any reason why RME frequently uses transformer isolation for the digital I/O but often uses DC coupling for the analogue balanced/unbalanced I/O ? I would have thought transformer isolation would have been preferable all round, but I may be mistaken. The lack of transformer isolation seems to encourage the use of an external D/A converter in order to get rid of the dirty power supply of the PC. However it is quite possible to power the "noisy" processor, HDD, fans and video card from one power supply and the motherboard/soundcard from a second dedicated hence cleaner supply, but this requires two supplies one in the PC and the second outside ! I haven't tried this yet has anyone else ? Does it make any difference ?

Thanks.

Re: Grounding on RCA/XLR breakout cables for HDSP 9632.

No one got any ideas?

Well I'm not really surprised.

I more or less knew the answers but was interested to see if anyone picked up on the fact that the HDSP 9632 and HDSPe AIO (to name but the two most obvious) should really be galvanically isolated on all inputs and outputs, not just on the digital.

It is a pity they are not isolated because when used in digital mode the two RME cards are (IMO) as good as their Lynx AES16 counterpart at a fraction of the cost. When used on analogue, well, you just have to be careful.

Messing around with the PC power supplies is basically a waste of time! This was a red herring!

You can clean up a little by always using XLR out and inserting a DIY transformer isolation stage in between the breakout cables and the receiving equipment (at a cost!) but if you need to use the analogue connections a lot, well...

On the other hand, the HDSP AES-32 series and the HDSP 9652 have transformer balanced ground free inputs and outputs. Great cards!

It is really a pity RME didn't address this small but important aspect of the 9632 and AIO card's layout.

Anyway I still like my 9632

Hello,

I'm also wondering about the ground pin of the XLR breakout, I see one ground pin (9) and I would greatly appreciate some guidance on what that refers to, or whether any grounds should be connected to the metal jacket of the 15 pin D-Sub.

Thank you for your time,

Don

After more thorough searching, here's a thread with the answer:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16841

it looks like all 5 of the grounds go to one pin, which makes sense because they're all going to the same place anyways.