Topic: FF800 won't work with external FW bus. MAC OSX

I was really excited to set up my brand new FF800 I received today, and went through all the steps installing drivers, updating firmware, but as soon as I tried to play audio through the device ...I got about 1 second of audio before the unit tripped, and started flashing all of its lights. The device is no longer recognized by my Macbook until I restart the unit, and this happens everytime I restart the device and try to play audio through it. It will work only if i plug straight into the firewire port on the macbook itself. Am I supposed to believe I can't use the RME with an external firewire bus?

my system:

Macbook OSX 10.5.8   2.16ghz intel core 2 duo
4 GB RAM

Belkin 6-port firewire 400 bus.

Yes, the drivers are up to date.
Yes, I tried it in line with my external FW hardrive daisy chained.

I am pretty furious about this. If there is a solution to this I would be thankful. I really want this to work.

Re: FF800 won't work with external FW bus. MAC OSX

There is no known problem - in fact, the use with an external FW drive is sometimes the solution to an issue where the FF will not work when connected directly (http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1475).
In this case, there seems to be an issue with this particular FW hub. Previous customer reports do indicate, however, that the FF seems to dislike Belkin hubs (or vice versa). You could try another type of hub, maybe...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME