Topic: FF800 on Win 7 laptop (HP dv6-2170eo) Blue screening.

Hello. This is my first post here. Unfortunatly it's not a happy one.

I recently bought a used FF800 which i yesterday tried to install on my HP laptop, with Win 7 installed. I'm using the latest drivers from RME and the installation went with no hassle. Stand-alone it worked without any problems. I then installed the latest version of Reaper and set it to use the FF. The first thing i noticed was that Reaper wouldn't playback. When I pressed play the marker and counter just stood still, although the play button was green as tho it really was playing. I also couldn't get a signal when i track armed it. I rebooted and tried again. BSoD occured when i started Reaper. Upon restart the Blue screen appeared as soon as i got to desktop.

My laptop is specced as follows:

Intel Core i7 720 1.6 Ghz
6 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT230M
1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller

Now, my guess is that the problem is the FW-card which is not TI. I'm hoping tho that it might be another problem as I will not beable to get another FW-card. Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this? Please help me!

-Erik M?llerv?rn

2 (edited by 19 frets 2010-10-03 19:22:39)

Re: FF800 on Win 7 laptop (HP dv6-2170eo) Blue screening.

Can you deinstall the FireFace and it's drivers completely and just try running Reaper with the on board sound card or another interface to eliminate the Fireface and verify that everything else, including Reaper works OK with your laptop?  You say you are running with the latest drivers, can you tell us the version of the Fireface firmware and the driver you are using?

Thanks for the reply.

I uninstalled the FF and reaper runs perfectly with the onboard soundcard. The driver I've used is 3.020 and the Firmware is 2.77.

Most probably a HP issue. First you should find out what FireWire chip is in that computer. Sometimes you're lucky...

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8911

Sometimes not, if it's an Agere/LSI Rev 6....

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by Hinhaley 2010-10-04 18:22:00)

Thanks. Now at least I'm not getting blue screens anymore. Reaper opens and plays, however not properly.

What I did was i found out what kind of FW-chip i was using and it was a jmicron, to which I updated the driver. Then I reinstalled the FF800. I opened Reaper, set it to use FF asio-driver and had a go. Good news was that it didn't crash the comp and I could get a signal in to Reaper. Now, playback on the other hand was a completely different story. I imported a wav which was played _really_ slow, as if it was playing in a different sampling freq. I then tried record a bit with my bass guitar (in 44.1/24). It looked fine in the waveform and thru the RME mixer it sounded allright. But again, at playback it was sloooow. I tried to put the sf from 44.1 to 88.2 and playback again. No difference. I set changed it again this time to 32 kHz. And.. Well, it worked (!!!). For awhile... then the playback started to phase and slow down and then go back to sounding as it should. In short, it's a mess.

Also I might add that when Reaper is up there's a clicking in right channel, sounding kinda like a sync error. This disappears as soon as Reaper is closed.

Any suggestions as to where to go from here?

Edit: Now I found this: http://www.inwarehouse.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=341337 Would that possibly take care of my problem?