Topic: FF800-how do YOU monitor input levels

Really, really want this baby.  But I absolutely need input meters to see when I am in the red.  I understand there are meters in the mix software.

I am wondering how this would work in a real world scenario:  I am getting a 17" laptop.  But even on a 15", can you have a small strip of the meters on your screen somehow while you are using your DAW (I use Ableton Live)?

Re: FF800-how do YOU monitor input levels

Please have a look into DIGICheck. This is a special metering and analysis software toolbox, which will do what you need - and much more.

best regards
Knut

Great! And that comes with the FF800?

I am concerned there will be no way to "lock" the meters onto my screen (Macbook Pro)  while I am working in Ableton.  Anyone else have this issue/concern?  (hmmmm, maybe I could use the Spaces function so I can see both apps at once.  But again, the meters would probably take up too much space.  Who knows, until you try it....) 

Does anyone on this forum need to see input meters while working in their DAW and have it work well for them?

Great! And that comes with the FF800?

It comes with every RME interface. You can of course lock the DIGICheck window(s) on top of all other screens.

best regards
Knut

I simply use my DAW App's metering.  In Nuendo, you can have multiple mixer views.  On Top I have all of my physical inputs ordered and labeled however I wish.  On bottom I have my playback tracks for mixing.  Works fine over here and its peak hold function is nice smile  Totalmix is obviously an option as well - but Nuendo's Mixer is WAY more flexible with regard to hiding tracks, making some tracks "large", and organizing them in any order you wish wink

FWIW - You don't have to get anywhere near 0dBfs to get good recordings - and it is generally accepted by "those in the know" to record at lower levels.  I generally have sustained tracks like distorted guitars riding around -8dBfs, and stuff like Drums will generally peak around -6dBfs - and you could be a lot more conservative than that!  Headroom is good - and your Plug-ins and Mix Bus will be a LOT less likely to clip.

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8