Topic: rme multiface as stand-alone

hi.. i saw in hdsp32.exe that the rme multiface can be set in disconnect-mode. then tried to read the manual and it said that you can use it as a standalone, if you just set it in disconnect mode. however, i have the multiface plugged into a rme pci card on my pc, and when i set the card to disconnnect mode, and shut down the pc, the multiface-box starts flashing its usual red led  as if its been disconnected, and doesnt function as is.

am i completely misunderstanding the point of the rme multiface's disconnect mode, does it not allow for audio input to be mapped to audio output - can i not use it as a standalone card which's 8 inputs are being sent to 8 outputs which are plugged into a non-pc computer? can i not use the ADAT out (after configuring the totalmix to send all inputs to ADAT out) in standalone mode?

RME Fireface UCX (macOS Mojave, Mid-2015 MBP)<-in use
RME Multiface (XP, PCG-GRX690) <-in a closet

Re: rme multiface as stand-alone

You have to provide external power, and keep the unit powered after unplugging the Multiface from the HDSP card.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

hi.. external power is supplied. the unit is powered after unplugging the multiface from the hdsp card. i do remember   setting the multiface to disconnect mode, unplugging the firewire-like cable from the multiface box, and shutting down the pc. yet the minute i removed the cable from the multiface, it went back to flashing red.
what am i doing wrong?

External power insufficient.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

i use the same external power adapter i got when i bought this card in january 2003. is there some extra power external power adapter i am supposed to purchase?