1 (edited by stoneeh 2010-10-14 18:08:06)

Topic: Request for audiophile USB D/A

Hi.

I currently own a Fireface UC, even though I admit I basically just use it as a D/A to listen to music from my PC. The ADI series would probably be more suited for that, but I really like USB more than fiddling with optical outputs.

I recently switched the power supply to a 12V car battery that is recharged nightly via an automatic timer. That of course is a bit provisional, but the DC current supply really gives a much more stable sound. It just sounds so much more relaxed. I can recommend this little mod to anybody using the Fireface or similar devices.

Now I really like the sound of the Fireface. It just sounds right, neutral but not boring. I'm missing a little edge in the frequency spectrum and resolutiuon that would put it over the top - the lowest lows and the highest highs are a little cut off, and the resolution could be a little better (it's still great, I'm just comparing it to the highest end Hifi stuff on the market, which costs a lot more too).

I guess if you just used the best D/A's available today from AKM and used a little more high end parts in the output stage, and put it in a neat little box complete with your USB steadyclock technology, this could be one of the best sounding units on the market. If you just did 2 or 3 stereo outputs and skip the rest, you could offer it at a really competitive price.

The Fireface UC is already very popular from what I hear, but I think that high end D/A could be veeeery popular as well. I think lots of people would go for it.

Regards
Markus

Re: Request for audiophile USB D/A

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_babyface.php

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by stoneeh 2010-10-14 18:15:52)

Does this use better D/As and analog output stages than the Fireface UC?

Regards
Markus

Since you are audiophile it doesn't matter if we interpret one to be better than the other. Instead I suggest you study the specs and let your ears decide.

FF UC specs (scroll all down): http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_uc.php

Babyface specs (use Daniel's link)

The ADI-2 looks best regarding the specifications. I would try that if it were USB. The Babyface disqualifies itself from an audiophile standpoint because it's powered via USB. A good power supply or at least the option to use your own is a must.

Anyway, it was only a suggestion, and if you plan to build such a unit I would buy it. That's all.

Regards
Markus

The Babyface disqualifies itself from an audiophile standpoint because it's powered via USB. A good power supply or at least the option to use your own is a must.

Besides any audiophile myth - the Babyface has a power connection for an optional power supply.

best regards
Knut

Not that it makes much of a difference in terms of sound quality IMHO, but the BF can be externally powered.
http://www.rme-audio.de/images/products … ace_2b.jpg

The ADI-2 will connect to any (USB) audio device with SPDIF I/O. No need to worry about clock accuracy, as it's got Steadyclock.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

One should also consider that the Babyface will be used for recording in the very near future. So if the USB powering is sufficient for recording the material you are going to listen to then it's likely sufficient to play it back.

9 (edited by Schubertriad 2010-10-15 11:13:56)

stoneeh wrote:

Hi.

I currently own a Fireface UC, even though I admit I basically just use it as a D/A to listen to music from my PC. The ADI series would probably be more suited for that, but I really like USB more than fiddling with optical outputs.

I recently switched the power supply to a 12V car battery that is recharged nightly via an automatic timer. That of course is a bit provisional, but the DC current supply really gives a much more stable sound. It just sounds so much more relaxed. I can recommend this little mod to anybody using the Fireface or similar devices.

Now I really like the sound of the Fireface. It just sounds right, neutral but not boring. I'm missing a little edge in the frequency spectrum and resolutiuon that would put it over the top - the lowest lows and the highest highs are a little cut off, and the resolution could be a little better (it's still great, I'm just comparing it to the highest end Hifi stuff on the market, which costs a lot more too).

the electrical loads & impedances involved between the UC and your amp can affect both high and low frequency ends as well, you know
I have both the UC and ADI8-QS hooked up into my "audiophile" setup and they sound as good as I expected from so called hi-end address stuff
Since I've RME on board, I just have found PEACE in audio

there's nothing more important to my ears and eara cool

anyway I'm gonna try the 12Vdc car battery against the wall plugged power supply HeadScratch

HDSP9632, HDSP9652, ADI-8QS, FFUC, Quadmic II

Schubertriad wrote:

the electrical loads & impedances involved between the UC and your amp can affect both high and low frequency ends as well, you know
anyway I'm gonna try the 12Vdc car battery against the wall plugged power supply HeadScratch

Regarding the first statement, I've had 4 or more (can't remember exactly) amps connected to the Fireface, via RCA and via XLR, and have noticed no change. So I don't think that is an issue.

Regarding the battery, a 5,5mm outer and 2,1mm inner diameter connector for example will fit. A 5,5mm outer and 2,5mm inner will fit too. Those are the two I have tried. Have fun testing.

Regards
Markus

Tried the ADI-2 and can't live with it. It clearly has better resolution than the Fireface and also doesn't fall off so steeply in the lowest octaves, which is what I was looking for, but it lacks the Fireface's full bass and, what disturbed me most, it's got really annoying upper mids. I can't listen to half my music anymore because it sounds so bright.

Sending back the ADI-2 to the vendor. Babyface is the last RME product I'll try, if that's not ok then it's your lost business, not mine.

Regards
Markus

Some month ago I also tried the ADI-2 at home with two Genelec 8040 Monitor Loudspeakers and I was amazed by the resolution. Right now I achieved also the same resolution with my Benchmark DAC 1 Pre, but with the Benchmark I had to invest extra money on power connectors and cables. However I then decided not to switch to the ADI-2, just because I wanted to give the Babyface a chance.

In my experience room acoustic corrections play a decisive role in sharpening the stereo image and improving the low end. The advantage of the Babyface is that one can use the microphone input to record the room acoustic response. And then one can use it to generate a room correction filter.

RME may not target the market I represent. Nevertheless it will be interesting to test the Babyface and I'm planning to write a report in this forum.

Just look at the opportunity you have:-?,

Giovanni