Topic: Express card problems on a Dell XPS Studio 16

Hi,

I've just purchased an Express card to go with my new Dell XPS Studio 16 (Model 1645).

Getting the Express card recognised and running is proving to be a problem.

I have had it working, but only if I plug-in the card when Windows is up and running.

Even then, sometimes it doesn't work and Windows locks up.

Booting with the card inserted never works - doesn't get recognised.

Details:

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium
Multiface II (Powered)
Latest drivers and the firmware is up-to-date
Windows 7 fully updated
Chipset drivers up-to-date also

This does sound similar to some of the other issues I'm seeing reported - even on Mac systems.

Since inserting the card can lock-up the system, which then recovers if I pull it out, maybe there's an interrupt type problem somewhere?

Possible problems with the firmware itself or maybe the host laptop and chipset drivers are causing problems?

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

Chris

Re: Express card problems on a Dell XPS Studio 16

Did you check your serial number?

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3263

This might be a BIOS problem that you will not be able to solve, see here:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5565

Post 17.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Purusha 2010-06-11 08:44:50)

The serial number is a 230xxxxx, so it should be OK.

The laptop has no BIOS options for power saving etc.

Would it help if I could (if it's possible) disable power saving on the express-card port on the laptop in Windows?

I think it's a fairly standard Intel chipset and a common Dell model, so it's not like I'm using anything exotic...

The Windows settings have no effect here. And it might be a common Dell model, but that doesn't mean it will work with our cards ;-)

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by Purusha 2010-06-11 11:52:49)

Hmmm. OK Matthias, but that means I now have the problem of:

Do I keep the card in the hopes that I can get a solution from Dell and/or yourselves or send it back to the retailer and get a refund?

It also effectively means that anyone considering buying one of these cards from RME is potentially entering a mine-field of: will it work on my system or won't it? In which case, they may be dissuaded from purchasing.

It might also help (unless you already have it) if you were to publish a list of laptops on which your cards are known not to work.

Edit: I also notice that users are having possibly similar problems on MacBooks:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6962

Have to say - if Apple users are hitting (what as possibly) similar problems, there must surely be some responsibility for RME here?

There is nothing that we can fix, sorry. The card is as it is, if it don't work simply return it (or the laptop).

Waiting for Dell to fix whatever - well, read some of my posts about Dell here or others in the web. You will never receive a BIOS with a workaround like that for the Lenovo ones, I bet. Dell works like manufacturers of mobile phones: a few months after the introduction of a laptop it is replaced with a new model and so on...and the download pages for BIOS and drivers are no longer updated by them...case closed.

Regarding Apple - even when only reading half of the info it should be more than clear that this has nothing to do with RME at all, as it fails with other hardware too.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by Purusha 2010-06-11 14:33:57)

In my day-job (as a Technical Lead for the UK's largest electronics manufacturer), I've often had to get Senior engineers from various companies in same room to work out why devices aren't talking to each other properly.

It's usually the case that both sides have misinterpreted an ambiguous specification.

Do you by any chance have any technical detail as to why Apple/Dell etc. or possibly Intel may be at fault here?

Edit: this isn't me being difficult BTW. I'm actually interested in helping out if possible.

I don't have much experience with PCI-E, but am the guy at my company who ends up attaching bus/logic analysers to find out what's not behaving (although I'm mainly a software developer). Often then involves a trip to the Bay area to talk to the various device manufacturers!

smile

The recognition problem is most probably a bug of the PCIe interface chip that we and other manufacturers use. Unfortunately there are no alternatives (and no fixes for that said chip). Note that Lenovo did not add this option to the BIOS for RME cards, but for other mass products. Good for our users as well, of course.

The Apple problem is a completely different thing.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by Purusha 2010-06-11 16:20:21)

OK - will continue to dig and see what I can get from Dell. I've had some luck before in getting them to work on the BIOSes in the past.

Might see if there's a relevant bus analyser here at work which might point to an answer. Unfortunately, most of the devices I deal with these days are fully LSI and everything's on the one chip. No external busses, which means the analysers are sat on the shelf...

If this is a power management issue, there may be a route forward.

Edit: Right - it seems I can get this working most of the time, so long as I wait until Windows is booted before inserting the card. It just takes a while sometimes for the card to be recognised. If I have the card inserted on boot, it's not recognised. In that scenario, if I unplug the card and re-insert, Windows locks up.

So - I have a work-around it seems.

I'm hoping this is a driver issue or Windows itself.

WindowsXP on my work laptop seems to be fine.

For what it's worth, I tried Win7 64 bit on my work laptop. Works OK on there, so seems there is some kind of incompatibility with the platform itself on the new machine. Am talking to Dell, but no updates so far...

At least I have a working way forward - installing the card after boot.

Matthias, was the Lenovo issue the same?

is your work laptop the same make and modell? I am asking because I plan on buying a Dell Vostro 3700 with Windows 7 64 and I would use it with a HDSP Expresscard. Thanks!

Hi,

My work machine is a Latitude E6500

Make sure to switch off the PCI Express ("Link State Power Managment") power-saving feature in Windows 7's power-management. Either switch to "High Performance" profile (and don't ever pull out the PSU of the laptop) or switch it off manually.

If you switch it off manually make sure to use "OFF" and not "Moderate Power Saving". Even though "Moderate" is a lot better than "Maximum Power Saving" in terms of both performance and stability it still seems to be a possible source of instabilities and should thus better be turned off.

You need to turn it off for both AC power *and* battery. Else it can happen that switching to battery leads to instability even when you switch back to AC later.

Once I've got the card recognised, I don't seem to hit any stability problems with default settings. So far at least!

I have about the same problem here. I have just purchased a Dell Studio 1558.
Today I received delivery of the HDSPe Expresscard. No luck getting the machine to see the PCIe card.

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium
Multiface I (Powered)
Latest drivers and the firmware is up-to-date
Windows 7 fully updated
Chipset drivers up-to-date also
Turned PCIe off in power management
tried to force load the drivers from RME, crashed the machine.

anyone have an idea how to fix this?

16 (edited by Purusha 2010-07-21 19:58:05)

Well, if the ball's in Dell's court, feel free to add a comment in here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-fo … 39383.aspx

I've been talking to them on the phone, but no luck yet.

Edit: BTW, here's some potentially useful info:

http://www.expresscard.org/web/site/standardsummary.jsp

I do suspect that the RME card isn't behaving as it should - as described in the sections starting at "Module Detection and Operation" in that link. RME could confirm / deny for us.

You could argue that the Lenovo BIOS setting is actually a work-around for this card's failings, rather than a fix. In other words, you could argue that we shouldn't really have to disable power saving on an Expresscard slot in order to get the card detected.

That is true, but we have no influence on the behaviour of the Express front-end used in our products. So this 'work-around' is a nice one, and not only makes our but a lot of products operational, as this 'front-end' is used widely within the industry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

18 (edited by WU 2010-07-21 23:11:25)

Thanks for the reply and info. I am not sure what I am going to do now. It doesn't do me any good keeping a card that will not work with my computer. I have two multifaces and a octamic from RME and their products have worked flawlessly until this.

19 (edited by Purusha 2010-07-21 20:58:39)

Same here. I'm afraid I do feel let down. Especially when you read RME's marketting blurb which says: "compatible with all newer laptops with ExpressCard slots."

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hds … sscard.php

I've been a user and fan of RME's products for years and I can kind-of understand RME's position, but it might be worth re-assessing the word "all" in that statement. Post #6 above kind-of blows it statement out of the water. sad

Yes, I agree. The RME marketing made it seem all PCIe slots were the same and compatible.

They are. And not - which is the norm when talking about computer hardware. There is no guaranteed compatibility, and you know that. It can happen with everything that you buy for your computer - or the other way round.

Please also think about that if all you have to do to make it work is to insert the card after power-on of the machine - then it's worth to do so. You can keep an excellent audio I/O system and/or don't have to spend a lot of money for a different laptop.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

22 (edited by WU 2010-07-23 07:37:59)

If the card would work after I powered on the machine I could live with that but in this case the machine never sees the card under any circumstance.
I can force the drivers on the machine by using the legency option in device manager. Which drivers should I load? Maybe I am forcing the wrong drivers onto the machine.

Well, if the card is never seen at all then we are talking about something completely different. You may just have a defective ExpressCard or a defective ExpressCard slot.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I often have to insert the card, extract it and then re-insert it to get it recognised.

Are you using the latest BIOS for your machine WU?

25 (edited by WU 2010-07-23 12:01:23)

I just did that with no luck. Basically the card just sits in the slot and windows acts as if the card is not present and the slot is empty. I did get the red light to go off on the mutiface once by loading the force loading the drivers as legency drivers in the device manager while the PCIe express card was in the slot but when i rebooted the drivers caused the machine to crash. I could not reboot the machine until I reverted back to a former successful startup configuration.

I never get the message from windows that a device is present in the PCIe slot and you need to load the drivers. I think force loading the drivers is not really working since windows see these drivers as a device that is not present and then crashes trying to locate the missing device.

I have a friend coming over today with his laptop. If he has a PCIe slot I will try the express card out on his computer. I wish I had another PCIe type device to check to see if the PCIe card slot is functioning correctly on the Dell studio 1558.

Yes I have the latest BIOS on the computer.

Thanks for the replies.

And you did check this one?

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3263

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes I checked that a few days ago. My Serial Num. is 22944xxx.

28 (edited by fynn 2010-08-29 02:13:54)

I do have the same problem here with a HP dv8 Intel i7 Quadcore
Multiface I
I dont get the card recognized regardless whether I attach it before or after boot.
I'm quite desperate because I can't work for weeks now.
I can't check for firmware and driver versions because I don't get the device to be recognized therefore I am not able to update as well!
Any Ideas?

regards,
Fynn

29 (edited by Purusha 2010-08-30 14:39:35)

Hi Fynn.

Presuming we're talking about the same issue, it looks like RME can't/won't do much about this I'm afraid.

You could try getting HP to do something about it, but the big corps are hard to move.

Edit: BTW - I've decided to keep the card ready for my next laptop upgrade or in the hopes that Dell do something about the issue. Meanwhile, I'll use my Virus Ti's audio outputs for live sets.

30 (edited by Purusha 2010-10-10 16:50:56)

In case anyone's still interested in this issue, I've had a thought.

Perhaps something like this hosting the Express Card would help:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/qio.html

Probably not that one, 'cos it's very expensive, but perhaps there are similar bus extenders around...?

the issues lie with the laptops not the rme card,
this is an extremely common issue with todays laptops.
this is no different than trying to add an Express card to firewire to get the Fireface to work.

oddly the RME Madiface/DSP for Multiface work far more often than a firewire card.
in part due to vendor ID and how well RME is diligent in their work.

todays laptops are designed for power saving (more of the green garbage) and to give long battey life
also designed to be as cheap as possible.
in this wonderful power saving ideal they tend to under power everything as they never expected you to actually use a laptop as a workstation.

the next round of laptops wont even have express slot. they are quickly disappearing. going the way of firewire

so with that said the Sonnet will not fare any better as its also a Express slot. the issue is the slot on the laptop.
Scott
ADK

Hi !

I'm a french user of RME's products, owning a MULTIFACE II. I've recently purchased a DELL studio XPS 1645 and a HDSPe express card to be able to continue using this amazing soundcard. HORROR !  Purusha, the same problem appeared !

I've just discovered this topic and I am wondering myself : WHY RME's specification is "compatible with all newer laptops with ExpressCard slots" ? A list of laptops uncompatible will be great and discard from bad surprise !

1500E for the laptop more 300E for the RME card, that makes a consequent bill especially if it doesn't work !

I am a fan of RME's products for years but today, I am a little bit disappointed. A warning from RME about uncompatible laptops is necessary !

PS : I am selling my LAPTOP DELL STUDIO XPS 1645, if interested, contact me.

Agreed - RME obviously know about the potential compatibility problems, but are still saying that all new machines will work in their marketing blurb.

I now have a different solution which works well with the Dell. If anyone wants a 2nd hand Expresscard...

Hello Purusha, and what is this solution you are talking about ? I am interested and want to try all of these alternate solutions before selling my new laptop (what a pity, blasted joke !!!).

Email sent to you PaulO...

smile

WHY RME's specification is "compatible with all newer laptops with ExpressCard slots" ? A list of laptops uncompatible will be great and discard from bad surprise !

Because it fits in the slot. Thats what the statement say - nothing more and nothing less. The same is true with a PCI or PCI Express card. RME don?t test laptops, mainboards or complete computers beside a bunch of developer hardware. RME developed the hardware to the ExpressCard specifications. We know that many computer companies have problems with the implementation of the ExpressCard specs from customers response, but we cannot blacklist them based on second hand knowledge. If they fix it with a hardware or software update, our statement would be wrong and remains at least for a long time.

best regards
Knut

So - compatibility is limited to fitting a slot and possibly having the right connector?

I remember my department getting a piece of hardware back under warranty. On opening the box, it seemed that someone had replaced the innards with random circuit boards and had glued some standard connectors to the back. We could only presume they'd decided to use the old circuitry nailed to a piece of wood...

Still - you could argue that since the connectors were there it was "compatible" with the HDMI cable and the TV connected at the other end!

I do understand your general point, but my colleagues are currently finding your definition of "compatible" highly amusing.

yikes)

Thank you for understanding the general point. Maybe I was wrong in expecting the understanding of the term "fit", I?ve used to subtract some overestimated content you impute to the word "compatible" in this special context.

Nice story. Should be interesting for your notebook manufacturer.

best regards
Knut

Agreed with you Purusha, so amusing !

I would like to thank RME for its understanding about the uncompatibility problem of the express card with some laptops (and they admit knowing it). I spent a lot of money to pursue with my RME Multiface II - one of the best audio interface to me - on my new laptop and I find myself unable to work. After spending money, it's time losing money !

40 (edited by jcschild 2010-10-22 16:05:37)

Guys,

if you have to hual a large boat do you buy a toyota or a larger pick up?

if you are planting a garden do you research growning conditions in your area and then prepare, plant and care for based on that?
or do you just poke some things in the ground and hope for the best?

there is a reason i have a job doing what i do. (custom computers) if any laptop or desktop would work with all software and interfaces i would not have a job.

what you are saying about RME is silly. thats like expecting a Dell/ HP etc desktop to be able to handle 2 Madi cards plus 2 UADs and a Powercore. (good luck with that)
pro audio compatibility with PCs has been a known issue since day 1.
(and the only reason Apple ever got a foothold so many yrs ago)

and yes its much better now with PCs even still...

issues with laptops are all over the audio forums not just this one. (and there are a large number of threads on laptops just in this forum)

so what? did you do not research it before buying of did you choose to ignore.

Purusha, i am pretty sure i warned you a long time ago.

sorry guys its is in no way RME's fault.
its a lack of due deligence on your part. you bought a toyota (err kia) when you should have bought a Dodge.

Scott
ADK

41 (edited by Purusha 2010-10-22 17:56:46)

Erm, "warned" me about what and when? Should I know you from somewhere?

smile

My "Toyota" is actually working brilliantly using the new system I've invested in than-you very much!

Yes, a statement like that should be great : "using this device may potentially be a problem on some current laptops".

Sorry for trusting builders' specifications.
Sorry for being upset using my money for nothing.
You have the money to purchase a Dodge, glad for you...

Purusha wrote:

Erm, "warned" me about what and when? Should I know you from somewhere?

smile

My "Toyota" is actually working brilliantly using the new system I've invested in than-you very much!

in some therad about laptops pretty certain.

so what did you buy that works so great now? please do enlighten us.

Scott

Please do dig out this "warning". I don't recall anything like that, although I do realise that at my age my memory will begin to fail...

;o)

at my age my memory is failing :-) so i could be mistaken...
again what interface did you buy that is working so well?

One of these:

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_uc.php

Seriously though, and I don't want to take up too much more bandwidth on this thread. All I'm suggesting RME does is revise that all newer laptops working.

I'm not ever-so happy about having blown 300 quid on an interface I can't really use (not without rebooting a few times), but just needed a system which works for stage performance.

Surely I can't be blamed for letting off a bit of steam on here?

smile

At least this thread is serving a function of letting people know about potential problems. So, when they do their "due diligence", this might actually help!

Yes Purusha, we sacrifice ourselves (our money in fact) to the community ! I like it :-).

To Jcschild, I am going to sell my laptop DELL, is there any laptop surely compatible with the RME express card ?

48 (edited by jcschild 2010-10-22 20:31:06)

google "pro audio laptop"

there were 1-2 mentioned off the shelf that did work with the Madiface somewhere. if it works for the madiface it will work for the Multiface.
i dont recall what manufacturer and then within the manufacturer you need which model. then to be sure the bios has not changed on top of that...

laptops are a minefield.

Purusha: nice interface! glad its working out!.

Many thanks and I prey for not exploding on mines.

The very reason why I bought a Macbook Pro was that I did not want to play Genia pig for the plethora of laptop models on the market. HP Elitebook or Sony Vaio series were alternatives, but using the very same laptop that thousands of musicians use world-wide seemed like the best starting point (besides the opportunity to finally take a closer look at Mac OS).

But you this kind of convenience costs money (both the HP and Sony would not have been less expensive), same goes for custom build laptops. You pay to be on the safe(er) side.