Topic: 2 questions from a newbie to RME

Hi:

I'm seriously considering purchasing a Fireface 800 to replace my MOTU 8pre. I work only on Mac (OS 10.6.4), and the Fireface would be a great upgrade in AD/DA conversion quality, as well as a very versatile interface.

I have 2 questions: First, I work heavily in Finale, versions 2009 and 2011. I know that in Windows, there are ASIO conflicts with Finale and Fireface; even Finale's knowledge base addresses this. I don't see any information about problems between Fireface and Finale on the Mac, however, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this and can confirm that Finale and Fireface would work properly together.

Second, when looking through the Fireface manual that I downloaded, I saw that there were a lot of things about the interface that can be controlled through MIDI. I'm not really interested in any of that. I would just like the Fireface be my MIDI interface that connects to my synth so that I can 1) play VIs on my computer in Logic or Pro Tools, and 2) do note entry in Finale. Is it possible to do this without having MIDI signals change all the settings in the Fireface every time I play a different note?

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

Gary

Re: 2 questions from a newbie to RME

Second, when looking through the Fireface manual that I downloaded, I saw that there were a lot of things about the interface that can be controlled through MIDI. I'm not really interested in any of that. I would just like the Fireface be my MIDI interface that connects to my synth so that I can 1) play VIs on my computer in Logic or Pro Tools, and 2) do note entry in Finale. Is it possible to do this without having MIDI signals change all the settings in the Fireface every time I play a different note?

MIDI remote is only active if you activate it in TotalMix, so no problem.

I don?t know anything about conflicts between the Fireface driver and Finale on Mac (no ASIO drivers). You should just give it a try.

best regards
Knut

Re: 2 questions from a newbie to RME

MIDI remote is only active if you activate it in TotalMix, so no problem.

Excellent! Thanks for that information. I must admit, now having spoken to my Sweetwater sales engineer and looking at the manual, I'm giving serious thought to the UFX. I mean REALLY serious thought?

Best regards,

Gary